The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Quote:
An English Orpington has different type/breed standard than the American Standard Orpington. Buff is a color in Orpingtons and Lavenders are a project color being worked on, they are a project bird, not in the standard and not 100% type yet here in the USA.

Quote:
Buff, Lavender, Blue, Black, White, Mottled, Jubilee, Splash, Gold laced, BBS (Blue/Black/Splash) and so on are just colors.

The English Orpington is a different standard than the American ones. Generally the English have shorter backs, are bigger, and "fluffier."

Edited to fix early morning insanity lol.

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

Hey all, while I was perusing the internet today, I found an orpington color in the UK called harlequin. What is this color? And does anyone have any pictures????

I thought that was a duck?​

No, it's a color. I found a picture of one, but it is tiny and you cannot see the details:

National_show_2011_041.jpg

Someone tried to explain the color and from what I gleaned I think it may be a splash blue laced red, but I am still uncertain if that is correct.

(ETA, this is a pekin)

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

No, it's a color. I found a picture of one, but it is tiny and you cannot see the details:

http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/data/534/thumbs/National_show_2011_041.jpg

Someone tried to explain the color and from what I gleaned I think it may be a splash blue laced red, but I am still uncertain if that is correct.

Interesting. It must be something someone coined recently.​

the english are passionate about thier orpingtons and have taken it almost to an art form. Americans took to the work force and many breeds kind of fell by the way side but are coming back..each breed as I have had both at one time or another has its share of faults..the modern english breed looks almost nothing like its ancestors..as cohin blood was added to train fly away tails and to add more bulk..you can watch a film of a modern black english champion named hucules, he is the federal market champion on u-tube..fasntastic bird and his hens..thou they look like they might not be able to get around much , they are very agil..and long lived...Just my beleif but biodiversity is very important and it is important to keep very good strains of both going..as I learned from a flock of dominiques that line breeding for a long time causes weakness in disease fightin in the long term scheme of things so my vet told me about the flock we lost to mereks..orpintons at this point have a B factor in thier blood that fights that disease and they are unaffected ..so once in a great while it is good to have an unrelated outcross..I put these in so you can see a clear difference but all birds here are very correct for thier type be it US or English...I also have common problem photos like squirrle tails ect that crop up in english mostly and an assortment of culls even from champion lines as it happens even in the best..I see peoeple kind of freak out when some little thing comes up but the best in the world, people who are breeding up top champions year after year cull from hundreds right down to 25..so at least you can see an example of the differences thou in some cases subtle..

an english modern, (I use the word modern because all orpingtons were imports at one time or another..)This bird was english champion over the pond.
35675_manor20poultry.jpg

a modern black champion pullet (in england)
35675_blackorpingtonchicken.jpg

a fantastic example of an American english line from old show line that somone kindley kept going..
35675_mr_softie.jpg

this is an older retired champion buff in england..he looks a lot like some americans I see out around the shows
35675_orpbc_3630e.jpg

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

Quote:
If you are interested in a large fowl, contact the current importers and sellers and see if they have any oversized birds available.

I have a few I bought from Marc and I must say they are really on the large side. I posted a picture a few pages back of my oldest cockerel and he is larger than my LF ameraucanas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/5845_choc_cockbird.jpg

It is my belief that these birds were crossed with large fowl at some point; probably pretty recent. This bird in no way resembles a bantam in size.

could you pm me a list of
importers and sellers please
thanks have a great day​

Anyone have bantam choc orp eggs at all? or shall I say, anyone 'had' any?
I'm wondering how they compare in size to american orps eggs
I was visiting my choc orps today, they are 4 months old and in a pen next to lavender orps (only hens at the moment in the lav pen)
And those little choc rascals are as big as the lav hens already.

I know the english birds are bigger, just wondering if the eggs are as well

Back
Top Bottom