The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I can't see the tail on the black on the bottom right, but that expression and eye looks girly to me.
I kind of think so too..mine looks so similar to the first bird pictured..naked behinds but top feathers coming in..I am not the best at guessing, but im fairly sure all but one of mine are girls maybe even all of them..they just are not getting the wattles and thier little combs are staying pink, boy you can tell boys from girls with the aussies, no mistakes there and they are all same age as the EOs.

If they are the same age, that one is a female...it has a feminine head.

Walt

I thought I was crazy for the longest time thinking, "Oh that one has to be a pullet, look how girly she looks" or "That one is definitely a young cockerel, he's already giving me the rooster look".

Glad to know I'm not the only one who tells gender this way.
wink.png

For the most part my guesses have always been right, too!

Good job Kathy!
clap.gif

I only had 1 pullet in my last hatch, granted only 5 chicks hatched under a broody but I still had 4 little guys to find homes for.

I still have 2 Blues left, I'm contemplating whether or not I should hold on to them now and see how they grow out or go ahead and sell them. They're almost 3 months old.

Good job Kathy!
clap.gif

I only had 1 pullet in my last hatch, granted only 5 chicks hatched under a broody but I still had 4 little guys to find homes for.

I still have 2 Blues left, I'm contemplating whether or not I should hold on to them now and see how they grow out or go ahead and sell them. They're almost 3 months old.

I have so many dang chicks around here - I can't possibly grow them all out (though I want to).

I am calling, "The Trader Show," tomorrow. As soon as I am on and say I have free chicks, I get 20 calls. Instant downsize and less feed to buy! Most male chicks will be gone tomorrow night (I hope).

I have two five week olds running the yard and One I know is a cockerel by the stance and tail. The other i was thinking maybe pullet but my DH says cockerel and he is usually right so two out of two. Kathy I feel your pain on the boys. Of course I havent hatch any chicks on purpose since Feb. Anything hatched here since then was a accidental hen hatch, I am going to start hatching some in late Sept though I hope

HA! I found a pullet in another pen!
gig.gif

Kathy.... what color is that?? I see dusting on the feathers like it is a blue.. but it is a very dark bird. Or maybe it is just the lighting.. I tell you these cameras can really make the subjects look a different than they really are without us doing anything special to them.

I have two five week olds running the yard and One I know is a cockerel by the stance and tail. The other i was thinking maybe pullet but my DH says cockerel and he is usually right so two out of two. Kathy I feel your pain on the boys. Of course I havent hatch any chicks on purpose since Feb. Anything hatched here since then was a accidental hen hatch, I am going to start hatching some in late Sept though I hope
I have the same thing going on with hatching allot of roosters this year, I would say at least 65-70% roosters. but I keep trying.

Kathy, Jeremy, Roger, you guys have been at these a lot longer time than i have..they fool me over and over, last year I was absolutly convinced and congratulating myself on all of the pullets I hatched for the first time ever...nope..they were not pullets, well 1 was..I am the queen of hatching a box of roosters..and I cant tell for a long time except with aussies. so mine are probably cockerals too..well, shouldnt be too much longer and I will know for sure..that little blue one looked like a girl to me, but Im wishful thinking for everybody

Last edited:
So my husband told me last night I cant keep all 27 chickens till they grow out. I have some that are 3 months old and the others are 2 months old. What should I look for in them. Any help would be great..

Back
Top Bottom