The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

im wondering..since whites are in such a critical state, could it be worked out in a few generations..the origional orp breeders did that..maybe using some existing us whites?
a
lot of people working really hard on these resorting to adding wyandotte with yellow leg ect...just because of the sad state they fell into...im just wondering why this couldnt be worked out..if you dont ask...you dont learn
th
e man who worked the most on the whites in their creation said it took him 5 generations or so to loose the 5th toe from dorking...

X's 2

Without getting way off track again, I would like to add something to my last post as well. For a lot of the readers who might be new to this thread or any thread with newly imported birds.
It is very difficult to import from another country, it is even more difficult to import the 'perfect specimen' of the breed trying to be imported, when they have not been perfected in the county of origin.
And finding someone to export to you is even more difficult, nearly impossible.

So why do it? Because it gives us more to work with here that we currently do not have, or a beautiful and unusual breed that is not available in the USA. Hopefully any of these flaws that we are seeing on the new imports can be worked out over time and selective breeding. Am I concerned about feathers on the legs, no. A good example is the Coronations, very common to see feathers on their legs when they were first imported (ours had them), not likely you'll see it today though, several years later.

Of the imported orpingtons that I have, here is a list of the ones that I have seen some feathers on the legs (from various breeders and some we imported ourselves):
Whites
Jubliees
Chocolates
Partridge
Gold Laced
Lavenders
Cuckoo

Ones that I have not seen feathers (more common birds)
Blues
Blacks
Lemon Cuckoos

(I think that's all of them
big_smile.png
)

Just my take on the "feather" thing.
smile.png

Actually, he does look rather like a splash from the picture. At least he has better type than the black so far.
A splash cockerel I had:

these were from 2 different breeders. the second one i posted was not sold as a full blooded english. His roo was a split with english with some english bloodlines and his hens were lavenders.

I hatched a black with very heavily feathered legs. At least I think its an orp and not a marans as mine are very coppery, and this one is solid black. I grew it out to be sure and the bird is huge. It was totally random.

Learned my lesson- no more hatching orps and marans at the same time!

Last edited:
I hatched a black with very heavily feathered legs. At least I think its an orp and not a marans as mine are very coppery, and this one is solid black. I grew it out to be sure and the bird is huge. It was totally random.

BC Marans can come out all black and it is not uncommon.

Walt

im wondering..since whites are in such a critical state, could it be worked out in a few generations..the origional orp breeders did that..maybe using some existing us whites?
a
lot of people working really hard on these resorting to adding wyandotte with yellow leg ect...just because of the sad state they fell into...im just wondering why this couldnt be worked out..if you dont ask...you dont learn
th
e man who worked the most on the whites in their creation said it took him 5 generations or so to loose the 5th toe from dorking...
The white ones I imported last year are a cross of German, Dutch and English lines. I don't see any feathers on their legs.
They are 100% fertile, the best rate I had of all my varieties.
Certainly worth a try....

yuckyuck.gif

That is one reason we use hatching baskets and toe punch. It allows use to keep track of what is what with having Black, Blue and Self Blue Orpingtons. We need to know if the black bird is from which of these lines. Otherwise we have no way of knowing if the parents are the Black Orp pen, the Blue/Black/Splash pen or the Self Blue/Split Black pen.

We prefer the dishwashing basket by Rubbermaid. We use a paper towel or napkin in the bottom for disposable floor.

That is one reason we use hatching baskets and toe punch. It allows use to keep track of what is what with having Black, Blue and Self Blue Orpingtons. We need to know if the black bird is from which of these lines. Otherwise we have no way of knowing if the parents are the Black Orp pen, the Blue/Black/Splash pen or the Self Blue/Split Black pen.

We prefer the dishwashing basket by Rubbermaid. We use a paper towel or napkin in the bottom for disposable floor.

Wow what a great idea!
goodpost.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom