The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

befor i go find the book this web site...britanic rare breeds way down on the chicken page gives the recipe they used in the varieties.a white dorkng cock was used with this and that.. ,. ...........did not know this either but the recipie for buffs was pretty close to that too...walt will very much like this page.

i could see so many differences between the group..now i kind of understand why..the blk recipe was so different than the rest...

http://www.britannicrarebreeds.co.uk/breedinfo/chicken_orpington.php

Wow, thanks for the info!

Just a guess but maybe they used Dorking for the short squatty look and of course the clean legs. I have heard about cochins in the recipe but maybe dorking was used to pull out the short leg gene to an extent. I have heard tho is some breeds, 2 short leg birds bred together can b lethal but dont know much at all about dorkings except they r short and long.

way back yonder they did use dorking..i will find the book it was in and when i get on laptop..i will paste it in for you..i cant do things with this tablet...why did they use dorking? boy i sure dont know, maybe the book will tell more on why...but that way you can see for yourself.

You don't have to go to a lot of trouble except for a general interest sake. Not arguing that any of us on either side of the water know exactly what every individual breeder may have done. What we do know about the Orps is that more than many breeds the development of the different color varieties involved different breeds and different patterns of breeding the results. Cochin may or may not figure in. As a Cochin man my point was only where in the hell did these Cochin ancestors come from? The Europeans for the most part don't/didn't have Cochins that would impart what we think of as Cochin characteristics. As far as the Dorkings not trying to argue the point or beat a dead horse. Just that two pieces of information relayed from that article do not add up in a genetic sense. The yellow pigment and the fifth toe haunting one's efforts at four toes are both completely contrary to the genetics involved if a Dorking really were involved. That's all.

I think you are asking if the imports are toe punched when they arrive? I can't speak for anyone else but I imported eggs so of course they would not be. I don't toe punch (but am thinking about it) but I do band all of my birds that I have multiple bloodlines and keep records on all of my poultry, as much as I am able to find out. From what I can see it is very difficult to find anyone that is willing to put their birds through the blood tests etc., in order to ship to us from outside the USA. Or I just don't have the resources to find those people.

As far as bloodline information from the ones that I actually imported, I have only gotten information on the whites that I imported. I have requested information multiple times on all the rest and have not received it yet, so I will call them all the Sandra Hildreth line. I am not one to keep hounding, and since our sources are very limited, I am happy that she would ship here at all.

So it is a start of all these lovely colors, and something to work with here in the USA. I do have a couple blood lines of most, thanks to the other people who were able to import, and the ones that I don't have I am working on but the expense of doing that is incredible.

I think it is OK to post this on here since we are still talking about English Orps
hide.gif

No need to hide under a chair LOL. Keeping track of bloodlines and individual matings is an entirely appropriate discussion, especially when dealing with newly imported stock that we are seeing for the first time. I just didn't want for something to be said about what came from so & so that was better not put out there in a public forum. I was not thinking in terms of birds as most regular hobbiests are not going to/able to import birds. Eggs are enough expense that even they are prohibitive to most. Though if getting eggs from one breeder with several different matings yes, I would expect some labeling so that I can ID the chicks as coming from this mating or that. What I was thinking of is the various folks offering stock from their own new imports. If I get a dozen say gold laced or two dozen am I to assume that they are all from the same sire? Or are there breeders putting together more than one mating and keeping track of what results both for them and their customers? We can always just get a bird or two or an unmarked batch of chicks we essentially know nothing about and go from there. Create our own square one so to speak. But it'd be nice to know sort of how are stuff is interwoven and related in case it becomes important some day. Would not knowing that I had birds from three different matings within a true family keep me from buying an unmarked batch of chicks or juveniles? Not on your life. I'm just curious as to what folks are doing. Part of this may come from my interest in other forms of stock where lack of record keeping is one extreme and formal stud books the other. I ask here because there are many who have bought from some of the original importers as well as some of those importers themselves.

your welcome nellie..those old books are a treasure..they are free for kindle, cornell free library..some nice little tidbits come out about what they were doing and why.what the creator of them had in mind ect...its all so interesting..im wiped out working way too much...so probably take a LONG break..
Wow, thanks for the info!

The origin of both the black and the whites, so far as breeds used to make them, are available in 'Orpingtons, Foul for the Future' by W. Cook if my memory serves. It and other books by William Cook are available at Cornell free library. That said, I now can't remember positively and am too lazy to look, but I think whites were made using Cochins and blacks were not. Like David said though, what they've been bred to in the interim in anyone's guess.

Jordan Farms may have some in the spring. I'm drooling over everything they're planning on releasing next spring!

Anyone have the Gold Laced Orps imported by Greenfire? I confess - I've been drooling over them. Trying to decide if I should get them or not. I'm concerned with all the fluff, fertility might be an issue for breeding?

Here is a cheep shot at my Chocolate pullet, I think she is getting ready to lay, she will be 7 months on the 7th of this month.
Love these little birds !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom