The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I came home today to find my beautiful Splash roo, Neville, dead. He was laying on his side in the run as if he had just suddenly fallen over. No one is showing any kind of sickness in my flock, so I don't believe he passed from some kind of disease. It has been warmer here more than usual but our runs are under a large stand of trees and the birds always have a continuous supply of fresh water. I double checked to make sure that the automatic watering system was working and I couldn't find any problem. All I can think of is that his heart must have stopped, or something else internal must have gone wrong that I could not identify. He seemed perfectly fine this morning when I let everyone out of the coop. Neville would have been 3 in November.
sad.png

Jeremy sorry to here about your roo. If I can help in any way contact me.

Here is a good article that was in the Rock yearbook.....

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Oats in Show Poultry Rations
By Kraig Shafer
I have spent a considerable amount of time researching poultry diets in hopes of finding a ration that would
help condition birds for the show pen. Various grains, seeds and blends have been researched, primarily by
those seeking performance for economic ventures. This is not my motivation, but rather to create the healthiest,
most robust bird I can. Excellent health allows the genetic potential to be realized.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So we must take a look at the components of poultry feed that allow our birds to develop from egg to show
pen. First and foremost of course, we all check those feed bags to see the protein content of our feed. They
often range from 16 to 24%, usually depending on the age of the birds we are feeding. How much is enough
and is too much possible? If we’re feeding broilers that have a life expectancy of 6 to 8 weeks, high protein
would be well tolerated with no ill effects. Note that pullets being grown for layers are not fed as high protein
levels. Their life expectancy is 18 to 20 months and the growth rate must be contained to allow the bird to mature
before it becomes over finished or fat. Similarly, our show birds need to mature over a longer period of
time to allow them to reach maturity without becoming overly fat. Still, we need a protein level that allows
growth and adequate feathering. The first 6 weeks, our chicks can handle a 20% protein feed that gives them
quick feathering and adequate energy for a quick start. After that, many have settled on an 18% Game bird
breeder pellet that is fortified with many trace elements and vitamins intended to make breeder game birds and
their eggs prepotent for good hatchability. These are traits we also want in our show birds. Feeding higher protein
levels after 6 weeks creates some problems in digestion for birds that can impede rather than help maturation.
High acidity in the gut caused by fermentation of undigested protein can erode the gut lining and decrease
absorption of nutrients. So feeding an appropriate protein level for the type and age of fowl becomes
apparent.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Next we should consider the carbohydrate portion of our feed as it provides the energy and fuel to grow and
flourish. Carbohydrates are the easiest to provide in our hobby due to the availability of corn and wheat and to
some extent, sorghum. Our birds can survive on these grains alone; however growth and production would be
severely curtailed. When production is stopped, birds become overly fat on carbohydrates. Often this is seen
in older show fowls in which age has reduced growth and egg production. Similarly, fats in the diet, while essential
to life, can easily become excessive.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So what can the showman and breeder do to keep his fowl productive and healthy? A good case for letting
fowls select their own ration or at least part of it can be made from trials made by others. Many breeders use a
breeder pellet with all the fortification and adequate protein and carbs, but provide in separate feeders a source
of whole grains and occasionally calcium in the form of oyster shells. The birds will feed at their own discretion,
driven by what the body requires. Here’s where I think we can supply something to aid in good general
health that our show fowls need to compete.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fiber in the digestive tract serves a very functional purpose as it moves through the intestine. It absorbs fluids
and allows more exposure to the intestinal villa for absorption of nutrients. As it moves through the intestinal
tract, it cleanses the interior lining and helps it thicken and remain healthy. Some would claim that fiber would
impede intestinal function. This is proven incorrect as addition of insoluble fiber sources to low energy wheat
increased its metabolisable energy value for poultry (Rogel, 1985). In recent years, there is increasing evidence
to suggest that coarse, structural materials consisting largely of insoluble fiber enhances gut development in
poultry (Choct, 2006; Hetland et al). We have at hand a very valuable source of fiber in whole oats. The fibrous
husk of the oat grain is easily consumed by all poultry. Many claim their birds refuse to eat whole oats when
provided. My thoughts are to let the birds decide. Lewis Strait of Cornish fame often told me he fed his Cornish
breeder birds a diet of whole oats to keep them in breeding condition. They did not become overly fat, yet held
excellent flesh and condition. I’ve taken that concept to heart and provided a separate feeder containing whole
oats for my growing Plymouth Rocks, bantam and large. This year I hatched around 150 head, and I’m on my
second ton of whole oats. The birds now seem to relish them and will flock to that feeder when I fill it. They also
receive an 18% game bird breeder pellet free choice and are free ranged all day long. I’ve noticed a nice difference
in feather development along with voracious appetites for all my birds. Oats have a protein level of 11
to 12 %, and the fiber is definitely doing its job. The droppings are much larger, well formed and there is evidence
that high fiber in chicken diets helps alleviate worm infestations as well. I also provide whole oats free
choice to my breeder birds and those being fitted for shows. If we keep the inside healthy, the outside is going
to show it.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another use for oats in poultry diets in the use of soaked or sprouted oats for winter feeding. The birds delight
in eating the oats as a winter treat when green feeds are not readily available. They might stink, but the birds
don’t mind as they gobble them down. That tells me there is something there they need. Simply fill a 5 gallon
pail with whole oats, cover them with water and sit them in a warm place for a couple weeks. You’ll soon be filling
more buckets in an attempt to keep ahead of the birds. The old-timers will tell you of the value of oats in show poultry diets. Believe them!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I came home today to find my beautiful Splash roo, Neville, dead. He was laying on his side in the run as if he had just suddenly fallen over. No one is showing any kind of sickness in my flock, so I don't believe he passed from some kind of disease. It has been warmer here more than usual but our runs are under a large stand of trees and the birds always have a continuous supply of fresh water. I double checked to make sure that the automatic watering system was working and I couldn't find any problem. All I can think of is that his heart must have stopped, or something else internal must have gone wrong that I could not identify. He seemed perfectly fine this morning when I let everyone out of the coop. Neville would have been 3 in November.
sad.png

I am very, very sorry to hear this Jeremy. I have been lurking on this thread for nearly 2 years now and photos of Neville and your other beautiful birds were one of the reasons I wished so hard for just a couple of English Orpingtons for my backyard flock. I have enjoyed your pics and stories of Neville from the beginning.
I know it's never easy, but gosh darn. It's hurts just that much more when we lose a special friend.
hugs.gif

I have a question about the feathers on the chicks I have. 3 have small wing feathers and 3 have wing feathers longer than thier body. They are all the same age. Does the feathering indicate the sex of the bird? Will try to get pics later today.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

It's almost silly how attached we get to these birds, isn't it? They're part of our everyday life, I never even thought about losing Neville and how profoundly it would affect me.
hmm.png

Jeremy I am so Sorry. He was always a fine specimen of a Orp to me even when he was young and you were looking for a nice splash Cockerel. I hope you have some offspring left from him.

Julie, I loved Neville just like I love our dog. He was one of the most friendly chickens I've ever raised. He didn't have a mean bone in his entire body and was a wonderful flock leader. He always took care of his girls. I'm still very grateful to you for him. He did mature into a nice boy, didn't he?
smile.png

My friend Luke who lives a few hours away has a large flock directly from Neville, so I have access to some of his offspring. I'll ask him for some pictures the next time we talk.

Next spring I would still love to get some chicks again from you, from that handsome Blue rooster of yours. We are spending most of the month of December, including Christmas, in Europe this year so I wasn't really going to be set up to brood chicks over the winter. I'll just be patient until next spring and start again.

Julie, I loved Neville just like I love our dog. He was one of the most friendly chickens I've ever raised. He didn't have a mean bone in his entire body and was a wonderful flock leader. He always took care of his girls. I'm still very grateful to you for him. He did mature into a nice boy, didn't he?
smile.png

My friend Luke who lives a few hours away has a large flock directly from Neville, so I have access to some of his offspring. I'll ask him for some pictures the next time we talk.

Next spring I would still love to get some chicks again from you, from that handsome Blue rooster of yours. We are spending most of the month of December, including Christmas, in Europe this year so I wasn't really going to be set up to brood chicks over the winter. I'll just be patient until next spring and start again.
I would love to see photos from his offspring. We do tend to get attached. I am planning on posting some pics of that blue boy you liked so well later today. I will pm you later today. Hope you have a great time in Europe

Back
Top Bottom