The Jerky Thread - That's beef, turkey, deer, etc...

Dehydrator - I use it on a weekly basis, sometimes the jerky is GONE before I've cleaned the dern thing.
th.gif

I slice the meat. Then vacuum seal it wiht marinade overnight, and pop it in the dehydrator for 3-4 hours. then EAT.

yum..jerky!..
tongue.png
..make all dfferant flavors PC...there is one with alot of pepper in it that i love...there are terriyaki(sp?) ones...jalepeno ones..have fun!

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'll try all different flavors including chicken. I jusy want to get
my technique together before I invest in the equipment. Plus I have so
much deer in the freezer and bird birds in the garden greenhouse.

If you're going to be making alot of jerky - get a dehydrator and a meat slicer! Those will just make life easier.
I slice by hand, or FORCE my hubby to do it.
gig.gif

I use a dehydrator and the oven at the same time. In fact I have some going in the dehydrator now.
big_smile.png
Being lazy today so not in the mood to flip it in the oven.

I think the oven leaves the jerky more pliable and moist. I just put the slices across the racks at 180 then set my timer for 45 minute flippin intervals. I usually fold a pot lifter and close the oven door on it to leave an air gap.

As far as seasonings go it's really hard to beat the kits walmart has back in the sporting goods section. ALL of them make great jerky. The only bad thing is my local wally world is sold out. I like experimenting with my own concoctions so it's all good.

Doesn't usually matter around here how long the shelf life is on either type. The boys and yes my freaking 150lb lab tend to eat it before I even have a chance to freeze/store it. Mookie the lab nabbed a huge bag of it the other day out of the window while I was out letting the chickens out.....
sad.png

Quote:
I can't imagine why a lab would like jerky.
wink.png
I can see him watching
you as you make it. I'm sure my dogs will watch me.

How long does it take in the dehydrator? I've heard from a few hours
to Ronco's 1.5 days?

Quote:
I could loan you mine. It's been collecting dust for a loooooong time...
roll.png

OMG really? That's a sweet offer. I would love to try it. Maybe we
can meet up the weekend after Christmas.

Want a 20 pound live turkey?
wink.png

Hey, can you hatch eggs in one of those things?
tongue.png
They look like bators.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's usually pretty bad. I wind up stepping on either his toes or the 50lb lab mix that dominates me..... both of them stay under my feet hoping I drop a scrap .... yep I usually do on purpose.

As far as time goes in the dehydrator? It usually takes around 5 hours or so in the walmart special brand I got. A little less in the oven.

Tonight I tossed some thawed out sunfish/shellcracker fillets in the dehydrator along with deer strips. Just experimenting and wow it came out good.

I make dried fruits, veggies, jerky on a regular basis.. love the stuff.

Peace

Dan

Quote:
I could loan you mine. It's been collecting dust for a loooooong time...
roll.png

OMG really? That's a sweet offer. I would love to try it. Maybe we
can meet up the weekend after Christmas.

Want a 20 pound live turkey?
wink.png

Hey, can you hatch eggs in one of those things?
tongue.png
They look like bators.

Scary thought about using it as a 'bator, but you're right! I bet we will be out and about during our time off from school and could meet you somewhere. Hm, now to figure out where it's stashed. Gotta warn you, it's not an expensive one at all but you're more than welcome to give it a try!
As for the weekend after Christmas we will be heading back from Westchester Cty Ny on Saturday the 27th. We take 684 to 84. Any thoughts?
ETA: You know I can't kill anything so I'll have to pass on the live turkey, but thanks for the offer! The quail are doing very nicely. They're enjoy the warmth of the house since we never got them outside before the weather turned cold. I'll miss them in the spring when they move to their outdoor quarters.
Now back to your jerky.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom