The Journey of Cottonball

We prefer wire bottom (with mats and such to protect the their feet) but I am not sure if he is big enough yet? He is starting to get quite messy being in the carrier with a towel.

It should be pretty easy to check. Sit him gently in a wire bottom cage and look. And then maybe try gently sticking his foot through the wire. If his foot will NOT go through the wire, he should be fine.

I notice you already plan to provide a mat or something to sit on. You could also give him a box to sit in, if you're concerned about him staying warm enough or feeling insecure. (I'm thinking maybe a cardboard box with some hay in it, and throw it away later when he's bigger and has chewed it up.)

If his feet are still too small to be safe with the wire, maybe you can arrange a litter box in the carrier to help him keep cleaner.

It should be pretty easy to check. Sit him gently in a wire bottom cage and look. And then maybe try gently sticking his foot through the wire. If his foot will NOT go through the wire, he should be fine.

I notice you already plan to provide a mat or something to sit on. You could also give him a box to sit in, if you're concerned about him staying warm enough or feeling insecure. (I'm thinking maybe a cardboard box with some hay in it, and throw it away later when he's bigger and has chewed it up.)

If his feet are still too small to be safe with the wire, maybe you can arrange a litter box in the carrier to help him keep cleaner.
That is what I was thinking of doing, buying one (since he will need it anyway) as we have no extra cages, and seeing how he does. I do plan on giving him a little house in the cage and covering 3 of the 4 sides with a blanket / towel. He will be in our bedroom until he gets bigger! We are waiting for him to grow a bit before introducing him the the cats.

Do you know what breed he is yet?
I have not a clue. I just know what the grown outdoor rabbits around my town look like. Is there an easy way to find out breed? I am thinking he will be around 5 pounds or so. He weighs 7.8oz as of this morning, but since I don't know his breed I don't really know the growth rate.

Back
Top Bottom