The Joys of Owning Imported Orpingtons

I have this very project going on right now, I like my Jubilee but they are on the smaller side as compared to my BBS import birds. I have a spangle x jubilee roo who is spangled in appearance over 3 Jubilee girls, and his sister is in with a Jubilee roo. I am just getting ready to start hatching and any and all that hatch spangle will be culled, not used in any breeding pen. the Jubilee I will grow out and put back to a pure Jubilee from then on. Hopefully I add some size. I asked a lot of questions before doing this, and now seeing the issues popping up in the Spangled birds, it seems that some others did not and now quite a few spangled birds out there with red feathers or producing jubilee chicks. Which is not a good thing.
Welcome Salina... glad to have you join us... :)

Silly PIglet... heck no.... aint trading buffs for turkeys..... lol you know there is more than one reason GOBBLER fits them... them suckers can eat ... and eat.... and eat... lol

Last edited:

Silly PIglet... heck  no.... aint trading buffs for turkeys..... lol you know there is more than one reason GOBBLER fits them... them suckers can eat ... and eat.... and eat... lol

No trades? That's no fun, ha ha. I don't have turkeys, but by the sounds of it I have lots of gobblers. My orps eat more than any chicken I've ever had except maybe cornish x.

I set 6 "Black English Orpington" eggs.. they were shipped in..
Out of the 6.. 3 developed and hatched (the others were clears)

Here's what I got... (they are all the same three chicks)

Now... to me it looks like I ended up with 2 chocolates and one black... can any of you who have hatched out a lot of blacks give me an idea of what I ended up with?.. lol.. I know the seller also has chocolates.. so I don't know if they sent a few chocolate eggs by mistake (they were all marked as being blacks) or if it's "normal" for the blacks to look brown at hatch...

I posted this in the other thread too... so sorry if some of y'all have already seen them.. just figured I would put it here too for those who don't check both threads!

Last edited:
I have this very project going on right now, I like my Jubilee but they are on the smaller side as compared to my BBS import birds. I have a spangle x jubilee roo who is spangled in appearance over 3 Jubilee girls, and his sister is in with a Jubilee roo. I am just getting ready to start hatching and any and all that hatch spangle will be culled, not used in any breeding pen. the Jubilee I will grow out and put back to a pure Jubilee from then on. Hopefully I add some size. I asked a lot of questions before doing this, and now seeing the issues popping up in the Spangled birds, it seems that some others did not and now quite a few spangled birds out there with red feathers or producing jubilee chicks. Which is not a good thing.

Silly PIglet... heck  no.... aint trading buffs for turkeys..... lol you know there is more than one reason GOBBLER fits them... them suckers can eat ... and eat.... and eat... lol

:frow

6 weeks is such a cute stage for Orp chicks....still lots of feathers coming in....this was my first hatch from Henrietta x Claude...incubated 4, hatched 3, and all K's I think
barnie.gif
No worries hatching each week from this single mating.

Yinepu: It's possible the seller got eggs mixed up.

It's also possible that the father is split to chocolate and the mother is pure black.... If that is the case - then those 2 chocolate chicks you have are both female.

However, I have hatched A LOT of chocolate Orpingtons the past couple years and I have never had one hatch with yellow on it's head like the chick has you pictured.
It's normal for chocolates to have the yellow chin and belly and sometimes wing tips with the chick down - but I've never seen one with white/yellow on top of the head.

Last edited:
Yinepu: It's possible the seller got eggs mixed up.

It's also possible that the father is split to chocolate and the mother is pure black.... If that is the case - then those 2 chocolate chicks you have are both female.

However, I have hatched A LOT of chocolate Orpingtons the past couple years and I have never had one hatch with yellow on it's head like the chick has you pictured.
It's normal for chocolates to have the yellow chin and belly and sometimes wing tips with the chick down - but I've never seen one with white/yellow on top of the head.

lol.. ok now I really do wonder if I got scammed again!

Here are pics of my "purebred imported JUBILEE orpingtons".. (yeah.. they are everything BUT)
somad.gif

one of the pullets.. have two that look exactly the same.. thought they were cockerels a few months ago.. still haven't laid yet.. kind of a lavender color with orange/gold on the head and chest

the white one .. starting to get some red on the wings... another pic of the lavender / gold

and a few more

the black cockerel the blue cockerel... really looks like a "Jubilee" .. doesn't he?..
he.gif

the black again one of the odd lavender gold pullets

the white again... not even sure f she's an english orp at this point.. a lemon cuckoo? cockerel..

a lavender cockerel.. doubt he's even an english orp at all... the blue cockerel again.. at least he doesn't have the long tail feathers that the lavender has.. he is a moose though (him and the black especially)... so they may go into the meat bird project

these were taken at feeding time so everyone is mobbing the fermented feed... they also didn't like posing for pics.. and they are still in with the young egg layers since I haven't quite decided what to do with them and they aren't laying yet anyway...

Yeah I know they aren't "Jubilees".. but that's what the breeders claimed... at least these guys hatched.. I had a lot of infertile eggs .. lots of rotten ones (arrived leaking and smelling) and a bunch that were broken (ever gotten eggs with NO padding in a box? yup.. they were just taped into a carton and shoved into a box)
hu.gif

Needless to say I have spent WAY too much on my "pure bred English Jubilee orps".. and now I have to wonder about those "purebred black (possibly show quality mind you) english orpington" chicks

Here are pics of my "purebred imported JUBILEE orpingtons".. (yeah.. they are everything BUT)
somad.gif

one of the pullets.. have two that look exactly the same.. thought they were cockerels a few months ago.. still haven't laid yet.. kind of a lavender color with orange/gold on the head and chest

the white one .. starting to get some red on the wings... another pic of the lavender / gold

and a few more

the black cockerel the blue cockerel... really looks like a "Jubilee" .. doesn't he?..
he.gif

the white again... not even sure f she's an english orp at this point.. a lemon cuckoo? cockerel..

a lavender cockerel.. doubt he's even an english orp at all... the blue cockerel again.. at least he doesn't have the long tail feathers that the lavender has.. he is a moose though (him and the black especially)... so they may go into the meat bird project

these were taken at feeding time so everyone is mobbing the fermented feed... they also didn't like posing for pics.. and they are still in with the young egg layers since I haven't quite decided what to do with them and they aren't laying yet anyway...

Yeah I know they aren't "Jubilees".. but that's what the breeders claimed... at least these guys hatched.. I had a lot of infertile eggs .. lots of rotten ones (arrived leaking and smelling) and a bunch that were broken (ever gotten eggs with NO padding in a box? yup.. they were just taped into a carton and shoved into a box)
hu.gif

Needless to say I have spent WAY too much on my "pure bred English Jubilee orps".. and now I have to wonder about those "purebred black (possibly show quality mind you) english orpington" chicks
I dont know who did that to ya.... but your welcome to look at my birds over on FB.. Renie's Peeps. I sell my bbs chicks for 15.00 each.

somad.gif

and a few more

he.gif

hu.gif

You really need to state just who these birds came from. Ebay ? There are a few sellers using legit breeders' photos to sell eggs/chicks. These people need to be held accountable.

Back
Top Bottom