The Kansas/Missouri Chat thread! Everyone Welcome.

Looks like you have a good start.
smile.png

Holy Cow! That is great progress! Keep it up. Heck, you just might beat me in getting yours finished.

I need to upload some new photos. I have the roof on now and all of the siding on. Also, I have all the openings cut for the bird door, nesting box and human access.

thumbsup.gif

Can't wait to see yours finished!

Here's almost were we ended today. Missing from this photo are the two 4X4 corner posts on the sides of the front (they fit snuggly under the small front piece) , but you get the idea.

6/3 ETA:

Quittin' time on Sunday...

Hubby is leaving town on business again... Just gonna wrap the open side in a tarp until he gets back and we can finish the human access door and get all of the doors and windows cut out and built.

I think I will harvest some nice big branches or trunks out of the woods to build their roosts.

The coop should... for the most part... be finished and trimmed next weekend...

Then for the dirty work of the run enclosure. Babies are 2 weeks old on wednesday... we're right on schedule. =)

Last edited:
Coop v2.0 update - I was able to get a lot of work done on the coop this weekend. I got the roof installed, nesting box built and installed, chicken access door built and installed, people access doors built, and I have one of the people access door sides trimmed out. Now all I have left is get the other people door trimmed out and both people doors installed. Then, I will have to get the nesting box trimmed out and the lid installed. Next, I will have to get the shingles on the roof and the nesting box lid. Finally, I am going to give the entire outside a good coating of stain. I am getting so close! Here is the updated photo album:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/album/view/id/6215133/user_id/66378

Gifa - Could you post some more pics of the roof on your coop? Specifically, the front edge of the roof. I am tying to figure out how the heck I am going to "cap" the edge so it doesn't leak. Also, where did you get your shingles? My buddy didn't have the amount he thought he did and so I am having to look else where for shingles.

I am whooped! Time to go take some ibuprofen and hit the sheets. See you all virtually tomorrow.

Gifa - Could you post some more pics of the roof on your coop? Specifically, the front edge of the roof. I am tying to figure out how the heck I am going to "cap" the edge so it doesn't leak. Also, where did you get your shingles? My buddy didn't have the amount he thought he did and so I am having to look else where for shingles.

We first wrapped the edges with aluminum foil tape, making sure to wrap the upper and underside of the board too by about and inch and a half. Then we attached a small sheet of sheet metal to the corners. Then on the front edge I attached drip edge flashing to the bottom edge (because we didn't bother with cutting an angle on the front face of the roof like you did) and gave it an inch or so to fold around the side. This is what will prevent water from running back into the front face of the coop. You could use a simple piece of quarter round stock on the underside of the front... but the aluminum stuff is like 3 bucks for 10 feet... and it won't need to be replaced... Then we put the tar paper on.

We then capped the front edge again with another sheet of sheet metal that folds over the front to overlap the drip edge flashing and over the sides on the front edge. Set drip edge flashing along the top edges of the sides and back edge of the roof. Shingled up and folded over the last shingle to cover the sheet metal on the front. I didn't like the exposed silver on the front or the sides... The shingles on the front conveniently cover it up on the front...but I still wanted to do something about the sides. Details... right?

So I've also got a first coat of copper colored spray paint just to knock it back some visually. I didn't want to fork over for actual copper sheeting... and the paint is a cheap, easy to apply and maintain, and effective "fake". I will need a few more coats of that before I am satisfied with it completely.... and in the end I will also cover the white drip edge flashing with the color for the same reason... the nekkid silver was just too eye catching from a distance.

The shingles came from a pile of shingles we've been tripping over in our garage for the last 10 years. When we got our home re-roofed, they left their surplus materials with us in case we needed to patch or repair or whatever so that we had the matching color of shingles. The roll of tar paper too. It's been 10 years and the roof is doing fine... so, we decided to dip into the pile.

Last edited:
Coop v2.0 update - I was able to get a lot of work done on the coop this weekend. I got the roof installed, nesting box built and installed, chicken access door built and installed, people access doors built, and I have one of the people access door sides trimmed out. Now all I have left is get the other people door trimmed out and both people doors installed. Then, I will have to get the nesting box trimmed out and the lid installed. Next, I will have to get the shingles on the roof and the nesting box lid. Finally, I am going to give the entire outside a good coating of stain. I am getting so close! Here is the updated photo album:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/album/view/id/6215133/user_id/66378

I am whooped! Time to go take some ibuprofen and hit the sheets. See you all virtually tomorrow.
The coop is looking great!! I'm jealous. When we bought our coop it was in late Novembwer and we were desperate to get something before it got too cold. We ended up buying a $200 5 1/2 x 3ft coop on craigslist. It's good, but it's so boring looking and very difficult to get the eggs out.

ChickenPeep, a little fresh paint is a great way to take care of "boring". Shouldn't need more than a gallon of your base color and a half gallon of trim color to get a couple of good coats over the boringness.

For us, since we are backed up to the woods, we're going to choose some natural hues... probably a mossy grey green color with a suitably neutral accent trim color. Possible a french grey color. Should look good with our "aged copper" roof flashing. =)

Last edited:
We are actually thinking about painting it, but we just need to pinpoint a good time to. I have not the slightest idea what color we might do.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom