The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

6 days since the first one hatched, 24 hours since the last one came out- The remaining eggs had died. One died after pipping and starting to zip, the rest never even pipped.

First try, 11 ducklings from 41 eggs. I suspect the humidity went low a couple of times while I learned the incubator's behavior, I will weigh the eggs and record starting weights, watch humidity and weight lost more carefully next time.

(The bigger looking darker duckling in back is a Cayuga/Khaki Campbell cross- One Cayuga duck from last year's ducklings survived, bred with the Khaki drakes. First duckling to hatch, and has "hybrid vigor", it's definitely going to be the "lead duck"!)

Last edited:
I have some khakis that are about 7or 8 weeks old and one of them has a drooping wing that hasn't been this way before today. She pulls it up and it just sags back down again, like she just can't hold it up. It's not crooked or visibly broken that I can tell and I don't want to pull her wing out to look at it and hurt her if it is broken, so how can I tell if it's broken? Or is there something else that could be wrong? I should mention that nothing got ahold of her either bc I have them in a run with my chickens but she could've fallen off the ramp to the coop or something I suppose. Any input is appreciated!! I'd hate to have to take her to a vet. Lol

Can you get a picture of how she's holding it? If it looks like it's twisting out, it could be angel wing. If it's just drooping, it could be because the new blood feathers in her wings are just too heavy to hold up. My Swedish had this a few weeks after we fixed her angel wing. She had so many new feathers all full of blood it made her wings really heavy. Now that they're all grown in, she holds them normally.

Another thing you can do is catch her and turn her upside down to look at the underside of the wing. Look at the quill part and see if it's full of blood. If there are a lot of them like that, that's probably what's going on.

My year old khaki girl just got broody today laying on 10 eggs!! From her mate such is a rouen wonder how the babies will look? Excited!!

My year old khaki girl just got broody today laying on 10 eggs!! From her mate such is a rouen wonder how the babies will look? Excited!!

Can you get a picture of how she's holding it? If it looks like it's twisting out, it could be angel wing. If it's just drooping, it could be because the new blood feathers in her wings are just too heavy to hold up. My Swedish had this a few weeks after we fixed her angel wing. She had so many new feathers all full of blood it made her wings really heavy. Now that they're all grown in, she holds them normally.

Another thing you can do is catch her and turn her upside down to look at the underside of the wing. Look at the quill part and see if it's full of blood. If there are a lot of them like that, that's probably what's going on.

I think you guys are right about it being angel wing, or the blood in the wings. She's got both of her wings looking droopy now. Lol. So I'm glad it's not broken at least. Here's a picture (excuse the muddy mess lol it's been pouring down rain today and of course the ducks have to play)
1f60a.png

Hi. Im new to the thread. I have a baby kc and was originally going to raise her in the house until she was a bit bigger then put her out with my hens just as ive done in the past.HOWEVER she is an only child and has imprinted on the family and now we think she might have to stay indoors. I have attempted to make duck diapers out of socks and for now they will wo rk until i gind real ones. MY REAL question is. How to keep a duck indoors. Meaning what type of pen bedding etc.

My lil group of webfooters...Khaki duck in front...of course! So sad , I have 2 Khaki ducks and one was sitting a nest with about 20 eggs. Well the past few weeks of rain and storms have flooded the nest and then covered the eggs with mud completely. So NO babies for now. They would be Khaki and Runner duck crosses since my only male is the runner duck. I had a Pekin Duck but he would be too heavy to mate with my girls anyhow...and so far the gander has shown no interest in them! Maybe next go round!!

Back
Top Bottom