The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

So I know this kind of belongs in the medical/emergencies page (I've already posted there and not gotten much help), but I was hoping since you are all duck people you might be more help. There was a scuffle in my run yesterday, that resulted in the death of one chicken, and the injury of a chicken and a duck. I'm heartbroken but I'm trying to make sure that my two injured babies get healthy. The chicken I think is fine and she'll heal just fine on her own. However my poor duck got a cut somewhere on his wing, I couldn't safely get the feathers apart well enough to get a good look, but it's definitely not bleeding anymore, however he is having a rough time keeping the wing up where it should be. Is there anything I could do to help him keep it up til it heals and he can keep it up on his own? Thanks guys!
Hi,

I would get him in, away from flies until his wounds heal up a bit to avoid fly strike. And I would get him into a tub of lukewarm water twice a day. The water will cheer him up, and rinse him off and it may help you get a better look at his injuries. Be sure to check under the wings and around the vent - you may have already done so.

I would get electrolytes into his water for a couple of days, and rinse the wounds well with mild saline solution three or four times a day at first. If you have Vetericyn spray, that's handy for helping prevent infection and encourage healing.

Keep an eye on him - sometimes a topical infection will get into the bloodstream and then oral or injectable antibiotics are needed. But that is less likely, I think.

Thank you guys, I got to check him over a bit more today, I can't even find the wound even now that I've been able to give him a better look but if I can figure out a way I'll move him indoors for the next couple days (not sure where I'd be able to keep him where he'd be safe from the cats and not be incredibly destructive in the house) otherwise I'll just have to make certain to keep the wound clean (their run is surprisingly clean and dry for a shared run) and watch him (I have blu-kote for an injury that my Turkey got a couple weeks ago, should I try to coat the wound with that if I can't keep him inside?). Other than the wing hanging low at this point, he seems quite healthy and happy, no other signs of injury/illness. He's a total sweetie and I love him and his brother (even though he's the less friendly of the two) So I'll keep you guys posted!

So I have 1 khaki who looks like he has 1 wing going a little angel wing-y. How likely is it for only 1 wing to be impacted? They aren't on a crazy high protein diet, and they have been doing a lot of foraging lately. I'm wondering if it's just he way his wing feathers are growing in at 8 weeks going on 9.

Hey to everyone who gave me advice. Thanks! Calvin is lookin good, his wing is almost back to normal, the wound is all healed up, and he's a happy healthy guy who you'd never know got hurt!

Apparently these ones are already laying but I've not seen an egg since we collected them on Saturday, could it be that the stress of moving home has temporarily stopped them, and is there anything I can do to help revive the laying?

Back
Top Bottom