The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

CityChicker, you are absolutely correct concerning "pure" ducks of any kind. I have read that all domestic ducks derived from the Mallard with the exception of the Muscovy, which by-the-way is a perfect backyard city duck. But then again, all dogs and horses are usually a mix of something just like most of we humans. But, when I think of a "pure bred" duck, I think of one that breeds true all the time. I bought hatching K/C eggs off eBay and hatched 14 out of I think 20. Two of those 'pure' Khaki Campbells have crests and I spoke via email to the breeder and was told that he had a hundred or so and had never seen a crested Khaki Campbell. I was curious as to where the crest come from, if the K/C's were indeed pure (meaning breed true). Since I have just sold all my Mandarins (I think) and selling what Muscovys I have left, I want to have K/C's that breed true, so I am now on the waiting list. I want K/C's for the eggs mainly and then just because I like ducks.
Wifezilla, you are on the money with the skull defect and breeding them to each other. To me it would be like breeding a Doberman with a white spot on his back. That might not be a good analogy, but you get my point.
My Mandarins (IMHO) are the most beautiful duck, but extremely hard to interact with and the Muscovys are one of the friendliest most personable ducks I've ever seen, but not appreciated as such, and since I like duck eggs, the obvious choice is the K/C.
Bob

My ducks are here!!
24817_p2031871.jpg

24817_p2031863.jpg

24817_p2031879.jpg

24817_p2031880.jpg

and my favorite picture...
24817_p2031890.jpg

Quote:
no I got them from Ideal, the are all very active, and 3 of them have crests.

I love the last picture, I put it on FB and my friends are jealous!

I supposedly got 2 KC last week, they both have the brownish gray down that I understand is normal, but one has blackish feet and bill while the other has pinkish brown feet and lighter bill also.
Is this typical? Is it a sexing trait? Or could it be another duck breed altogether. I thought at first it might be a runner, but now I understand that KC were bred from runners so stand more upright than I am used to anyway....any ideas? I'll post pics as soon as I get back from getting kiddos from school.
lol.png

I have 7 kc ducks and 2 drakes. I do not believe they are of the best breeding per say as some of them have a hint of the wild
light markings on their face. That being said...my "kc's" are the singularly most productive bird on the place. They consistently
lay large eggs that my customers love! I get $5.00 a dozen and that pretty much pays for all the feed for my ducks and
chickens. Not pure? I don't care!
wink.png

Tamera

Back
Top Bottom