The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Pics
According to the lady that I got my KCs from, she said that ducks are much happier in a bigger flock. I have six ducks, and they all hang out together. Mine are also about 3-4 months old. They are not noisy, nor do they bother my chickens. I think a few more ducks with your one drake would be great! Apparently, I've heard that a good ratio is about 1 drake to 3-5 ducks, I think.

I had two ducks in with 8 chickens and they did just fine. So I think it depends on the personality of the birds? I've since added two more ducks, and I do notice that they hang out together more now and pretty much ignore the chickens unless it is snack time.

Hello!

Looking for words of wisdom. I have a drake and a hen around 4 months old. They are in the backyard and free range with my chickens (silkies and cochins). The ducks are always chasing my chicks and I was wonder if I should get another hen or two to keep them occupied...

What do you think?

JW

Last yr I had 4 ducks ( lost all to the coyotes ) the male white crested duck was always chasing this 1 particular hen , it chased another from time to time, but it was always after this 1 tetra tint. at the time I had 6 Roo's & 45 chickens and he still chased then hen.

I had two ducks in with 8 chickens and they did just fine. So I think it depends on the personality of the birds? I've since added two more ducks, and I do notice that they hang out together more now and pretty much ignore the chickens unless it is snack time.
I have 6 adult ducks (2 Blue Swedish...one male one female, 1 female Cayuga mix, 3 Khaki Campbell...one male 3 females) that free range with my 24 chickens. I've never had a problem with them getting along. I did have 3 Toulouse geese that ranged with them but I had to move them to their own free range because they got to where they just did not want to share the space. I also have 18 Cayuga ducklings (3 male and 15 female) that will share the range with the existing ducks and chickens. We shall see how that goes but I don't anticipate any problems. Each species has their own coop and run but they are right next to each other and they see and hear each other all the time which might be part of why they get along.

Hello I have 3 kc's that are 2 weeks old and I believe that 2 of them have a sinus infection. Is there any way to get them antibiotics to treat this without taking them to a vet?

Can you give us more about why you think they have a sinus infection. There are a number of things from an actual sinus infection where their face gets puffy and they have a discharge from their nostrils to the changing of the voice in males that make it sound like they are getting a cold or have a sore throat. If an actual sinus infection a visit to a good avian vet would probably be a must and would require an antibiotic injection.

Do they have a little dish of water? You want it deep enough for them to get their whole bill and face in, but not deep enough from them to drown. Sometimes it's just food in their sinus, they have to have lots of water with their food. It can sound like their sneezing over and over, but they are trying to clear their sinus out. We use a rubbermaid lid from a tote when their small and they can even swim around in it.

Yes they have fresh water and the whole nine yards. We are new to raising ducks but we did a lot of research before getting them and and spent a decent amount of money to ensure they would have all the luxuries available to them. So as far as I can tell I am not sure what we are doing wrong. I have stopped now but I was giving them a decent amount of left over veggie scraps chopped really small. I believe they have a sinus infection because 2 of them have that bulge between their eye and bill and discharge from their nostrils. They also sound like they are sick and that has gotten worse. I thought they sounded sick from day one, we have had them just over a week. We decided to go the route of ducks instead of chickens because we had heard that they were more disease resistant than chickens. Now I don't know. :(
I am not sure yet how to post a picture on here. I just signed up but I will try to figure it out so you can see.

If they have the facial swelling and nasal discharge you should get them to a vet soon. Antibiotic injection will act fast and the vet will know what to use. I would not try guessing about self administered antibiotics. Good luck.

To post pictures just click the icon at the top of the reply window that looks like a mountain range with the moon in the upper left corner. Then just follow the instructions.

Back
Top Bottom