The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Pics
Carcajou, fantastic to see your flock in the snow...obviously they are o.k with the cold, we never get snow here in our valley but winters can get frosty. We've recently had 45 deg Celsius for a few day and the ducks hated it...poor little things, panting and swimming all day.

Thanks! Mine seem to tolerate the cold better than the heat. They need shade and lots of water in hot temps. We had a few days in the 90s F last summer and they hated it and so did I!

Hi guys I have a question about Khaki Campbell Drakes, do they typically have a brown head or do they have a green shiny head like a mallard drake? I have 5 standard size ducks, and a pair of calls, but would love to add a few more to my flock, and I am thinking about the Khakis. Thank you! :)

They can have both. Ideally their heads and necks should be brownish black with a hint of green iridescence with no neck ring like the mallard has. I really like my Khakis.

all of our khakis deal with the FL heat wonderfully. The boys all have brown heads that have a green sheen to them. The neck should be medium in length and width (not too thick) and should have a very sharp break from tan of the body and dark of the upper neck and head. NO yellow bills, no white markings. They are some of the best foragers too and have taught many a new duck here to work the property well.

Thanks! Where would be the best place to get them? Yours in your picture is gorgeous!!

Thank you. He is a pretty bird but has too much white on him and a yellow bill. Therefore I will never hatch any eggs fertilized by him though I do have a special bond with him as he is the sole survivor of my first try at raising ducks. I got my current flock (except my drake) from Meyer Hatchery but I feel they (all females) exhibit too much penciling.

I have heard lots of good about Metzer Farms and might try them in the future if I don't buy from one of the BYC members in the business (after my current flock have lived out their natural lives). You might check the "Stickys" and click on the 2013 breeder's directory link.

By the way does anyone have pictures of their older khaki ducklings. There seems to be a lack of pictures of that teenage stage where they get huge but don't have feathers yet. Flash and
Steve will be kept as regular pets, with access to indoors and outdoors. I picked khaki's since they are medium sized, personable, and I like how they look. I have 2 bug eating reptiles so they have access to plenty of protein rich bugs, along with minnows, and krill. They love to chase the minnows. The first time I tried it they caught all 3 of them. They also like mealworms and crickets as well. They're in a 29 gallon fish tank with a heat lamp and a heat pad for now but I have a dog crate and a indoor cardboard corral until they are big enough to wander around. I'm hoping my baby duck diapers come today!

By the way does anyone have pictures of their older khaki ducklings. There seems to be a lack of pictures of that teenage stage where they get huge but don't have feathers yet. Flash and
Steve will be kept as regular pets, with access to indoors and outdoors. I picked khaki's since they are medium sized, personable, and I like how they look. I have 2 bug eating reptiles so they have access to plenty of protein rich bugs, along with minnows, and krill. They love to chase the minnows. The first time I tried it they caught all 3 of them. They also like mealworms and crickets as well. They're in a 29 gallon fish tank with a heat lamp and a heat pad for now but I have a dog crate and a indoor cardboard corral until they are big enough to wander around. I'm hoping my baby duck diapers come today!

Here are some older Khaki duckling photos taken May 25th, June 11th, and June 25th, 2012.

Back
Top Bottom