The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

hi guys does anybodys KC drakes look this light. the are molting lost there cute curls. they seem to be coming in lighter . they are about a year old. how would one breed for a white one thanks..

I found a big bag of stale corn tortillas that they seem to enjoy diving for. They won't take them from my hand (they will come to my hand for buttermilk biscuit, pancakes, or corn bread), but they seem pretty happy to eat the tortillas if I crumble them up and scatter them in the water.

Oh, notice I'm down to 5. I was out of town this past weekend and my step-brother who was letting them in and out and feeding came in the evening to lock them up and found a big coon eating one of them. He chased it off and we have been monitoring the area closely around dusk but the masked bandit has not returned. He even set up a sniper's nest the next evening up the hill and I've been walking back with a rifle frequently.

Got some coon traps coming tomorrow and they'll surround the perimeter.... Davey Crocket hat, here I come. I was actually a bit worried that I'd stumble across my duck-murderer this week and not have enough left to make a hat. My long gun options are 7mm Rem Mag or 12 gauge. A trapped coon I can put down with .38spl ball ammo and have a good hide out of the deal. Shame to lose a duck, but a coonskin cap sells for over 150$ so it's not too bad of a deal.

Neighbor about half a mile up the road has had a fox after his chickens so that may be the next problem here (or my next fur hat) if the neighbor doesn't get it first.

Did I mention how nice it is having constant running water for these little crappers?

Here is an update:
I have stayed out of the coop as much as possible because there is a duck in every corner sitting on a clutch. There are way more eggs than they can all cover, and several clutches have multiple ducks sitting on them. I am going to have ducklings coming out my ears! lol....be careful for what you wish I guess......but it sure is going to be fun in about 4 more days. Now......what should I set up so the ducklings can have food without the ducks eating it? I have a bag of starter/growing on hand for when the time comes but how should I set up a feeder so I can leave the ducklings with their mommas?

My khaki campbell ducklings!!!!
smile.png

Here is an update: I have stayed out of the coop as much as possible because there is a duck in every corner sitting on a clutch. There are way more eggs than they can all cover, and several clutches have multiple ducks sitting on them. I am going to have ducklings coming out my ears! lol....be careful for what you wish I guess......but it sure is going to be fun in about 4 more days. Now......what should I set up so the ducklings can have food without the ducks eating it? I have a bag of starter/growing on hand for when the time comes but how should I set up a feeder so I can leave the ducklings with their mommas?
Jealous! I think both our KC's are drakes :-( both are getting darker heads with green hues

One of our 2 KC finally got his drake feather :hit was hoping for more hens than drakes (out of 8 ducks 2 now have their drake feather, I am 99% sure one of our 3 Peking are a drake as well but no drake feather yet). Here is the one with the drake feather

Not sure about this KC. The feathers look a bit different

Back
Top Bottom