The Ko Shamo Thread

They are proposing to change the SOP to pearl colored eyes for the Kos.

It's not in the Ko SOP that the tail is a DQ, but it's a general DQ if the tail is reversed, which in Kos, it is - that's where the prawn tail shape comes in. So, an email has been sent to the committee doing these changes to ask them to NOT change the color standard on the female, and to update the verbiage about the tail, hopefully.

Sorry to keep blowing up a long forgotten thread but I couldn't help but share pics of the girl. I didn't produce her (bought her as a pullet last year). I wasn't too sure about her initially but aside from a couple minor flaws I love the way she's maturing. These pictures really don't do her justice. Definitely looking forward to next season
20201121_115547.jpg
20201121_115554.jpg
20201119_135248.jpg

No worries, post in here as often as you want, haha. There really aren't any very active threads for this breed on BYC.

I am looking to start breeding some Ko Shamo. I love the stocky physical characteristics/stature, carriage, personality and attitude of the Ko Shamo. They just look so COOL! I am looking to try and breed some Ko Shamo that I can successfully label as a 'micro/pocket' Ko Shamo. Kind of a like a 'micro' bully in the pitbull/dog world. So, I am basically looking for the smallest, shortest specimens I can find and start from there.

I have some general questions and concerns.

1. What is the average size Ko Shamo (height/weight)?
2. What heights and weights can I expect at the larger/taller end? What heights and weights can I expect at the smaller/shorter end?
3. Do you need to separate stags/cocks or can they successfully live in harmony without fighting?
4. Do the cocks tend to crow a lot?
5. In general are the pullets/hens good mothers with good hatchability/survival rates? If not, should I just do incubation instead?
6. Can the cocks grow or develop a muff/beard? I like the look of a beard on my cocks.
7. Are there any hennie feather Ko Shamo cocks?
8. Lastly, Who are some good/reputable Ko Shamo breeders in the US? Looking for breeders in California or the west coast specifically.

Thanks.

Good thing there is a thread dedicated to this breed. Hopefully I can get some info and tips from more experienced chicken breeders.

Look who arrived this morning:

splash wheaten cock 1.jpg

splash wheaten cock crowing.jpg

A 2021 splash wheaten cock. I also bought a pretty 2022 wheaten pullet along with him because I don't like to have birds ship alone. He's got a nice 2021 hen here waiting for them to pass quarantine, and then he should start making me some blue wheaten chicks with her, if all goes well!

Back
Top Bottom