Huskeriowa

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 19, 2010
Iowa
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone.

Ok so I know there are threads all over that talk about the frustration related to poor egg production but I thought I would add one more.

I have had chickens on and off for years but I have never had had the issues that I am currently having. In the past 4.5 months I have had a total of three eggs from six hens. I have never experienced this and am at a loss at what to do. I think I know most of the usual causes but maybe I am missing something. Molting was a long time ago I would think that they would be laying at least a bit better than they are. Temps have been cold and I know the lack of light given that my run is covered isn't ideal but still they have the light from sun up to sun down. I have made sure there are no furry creatures sneaking in and taking eggs and see no signs the hens are eating what they lay. All hens seem as happy and opinionated and fat as ever. They aren't even two years old yet, their birthdays are still a couple of months off. Food has been changed to different brands to try to quick start them and I have also been giving them worms etc so I don't think the food is the issue.

I have seen older hens lay all winter at temps much colder than it is now.

Anyway I don't think its normal and I am at the point where I think that I need to put some kind of solar powered lighting in there but I have yet to read an article that indicates someone was successful going that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

My 5 chickens are on strike here in New Jersey also. I have 5 -19 month old chickens. They haven't laid an egg in a month and a half. Which I have been told is due to their first molt which started in November, and the shorter days. I'm just waiting it out. I haven't used any supplemental lighting. I figure the girls know what they're doing and who should I be to rush them--LOL!!! But I can't wait till the eggs start up again. They are happy and healthy so I'm just letting them be.
smile.png

Hi,

Thanks for responding:) I wish it was 1.5 months without laying because I could understand that. last year they went without laying much for a month or two like yours are. When it is close to five months without laying I get concerned.

Back
Top Bottom