the lav silkie that had head trauma thread UPDATED ALL BETTER

it seems to be working he is a lot more perky he gets his second dose tonight. I am doing the vitamin e as well. Its funny cause he directed me to the very page I had mentioned in my op the one from Brown egg blue egg. I hope I did not wait to long, if he never regains his ability to walk right I wonder if I can make him happy and if he could still have a productive life. Maybe I could still breed him using AI but that ould only be if he was willing to live in a sling. I hope it does not come to that but he is a very sweet bird and still eating and pooping well.

Just came back from Bren's farm last night, it's a long 5 hours drive(one way) but worth every mile.
Each time I visit her farm, it's like visiting chicken heaven, awesome looking silkies every where, they all have huge fluff, all looking healthy and happy, I too can't resist the temptation, those lavenders are just gorgeous, I had to purchase some and take them home myself too.
smile.png

19329_8-13-09_007.jpg

19329_8-13-09_010.jpg

19329_8-13-09_015.jpg

The roo she gave me to replace yours is just as handsome - see photo 1 & 2, I will take good care of him. As soon as he comes to breeding I will send you eggs. He have 4 young pullet see photo 3 (I had to have them, they are soooo beautiful) with him in a spacey pen. The pullet should be laying in about one month, so Susan, get ready next month, I am very excited, the eggs come from them should breed 100% lavenders.

The hard truth with shipped birds or eggs, is that we just don't know what happen during shipping. They could been through some rough handling. Another thing, like us humans, some can withstand the high air pressure on the plane and some can't. The high altitude pressure can also turn a small sinus problem into a world of pain, if anyone has flown with a cold or sinus problem, you know what I'm talking about.

I really admire and respect all you have done to try to help the poor roo Susan, like emvickray said, a lots of folk would have put down the poor roo by now to end his suffering. I hope this poor roo can make it. Good luck in your efforts.

Last edited:
I agree, I just love the lavender color. I don't care if it is SQ or not. Even if it just has the lavener mixed in with other colors. My eye is always pulled towards that color. Probably because it's not a "normal" color for a chicken and the silkies remind me of a poodle. That is how I describe them to people that have no idea what a silkie is.

I had a chick hatch while I was gone today. DH has never messed with the bator or the chicks other than to build something I need or hold one that needs tended to or help catch them. Our room mate and him where home today and the room mate looked in the bator and there was a chick in there. He had to go and ask DH if he knew about it and when he went to look he noticed the temp was 104. He opened the top of the bator to let out the heat quick as we still have eggs we are waiting to hatach and he was afraid the little chicks brain would fry. He took it out and held it until he could get the temp right. He did a good job concidering he had no idea what he was doing. When I got home he had just gotten it stabilized and the chick was back inside.

I have another that lost alot of blood when it pushed its self away from the egg and detached. I had to sotp the bleeding. It's 3 days old now and is up and playing with the others. It couldn't even standday before yesterday. Its feet where curled up like it had a stroke or something. I gave it a little therapy to strenghten its legs and feet. Today I gave vitamins and after a nap she was up and running. It has been an eventful hatch this time.

We all have our trials we face with our animals. Some face it head on and some turn their backs and give up. It was suggested that I cull the chick now and end its suffering. She isn't suffering now. She is playing with her little chickie friends in the brooder. I commend those willing to do what they can to help preserve life. I understand that there are some that are produced with the intention of using for humand comsumption. Then there are us nuts that just love our little featherd friends.

I sure do hope that the silkie gets well. He looks just like the one I got about a month ago.

sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner..
I feel sure the roo was injured in shipping..and the brownegg/blueegg page for Crookneck treatment could help.
hope so anyway...

the prednisone will act as the anti-inflammatory.
keep with the vits as instructed.

keeping fingers crossed for the gorgeous roo.

how's the swelling in the body?

is he able to stand or walk yet?

Last edited:
ok now its just getting weird.

After a few days in the restraint-jacket I made out of gauze wrap I saw the roo become even more perky and eating more, I thought maybe he is improving but being all tied up there was no way to really tell. So yesterday I went to see if he would walk yet and at least change his wrapping. Well no improvement he still put both legs outward and could not seem to stand up. I held his legs steady and he was able to then balance correctly but not with out help.

I tried to wrap him again but al on my own I was unable to do it the same way and he was able to escape. 15 minutes after I put him back in his box I found him sprawled out on the floor. Since then I have been trying everything to keep him restrained but he is just not having it. I get him comfortable and then when I leave the room he tried to get out.

Well this last time I found him perched on the edge of the box and laundry hamper. I realized that he could roost!!!

so I set up a make-shift roost (I am going to add velcro on it to add texture for better gripping in a minute, the soft side) And he is using it. yet he still can not walk or use his legs properly.

I am really at a loss as to what to do, I dont want to leave him perched for too long as I know he will eventually wind up flopping around yet. I think I should make another wrap but will need to wait until I can get assistance. in the meantime isnt it the weirdest thing? or has anyone seen this before?

here's a pic

IMG_1274.jpg

Quote:
sorry did not see this before,

The swelling has gone down a lot but not completely, and no walking yet but roosting sort of. I am still doing the prednisone but will have to taper off slowly in a few days cause I will be running out soon. I am also doing vit. E

Quote:

The swelling has gone down a lot but not completely, and no walking yet but roosting sort of. I am still doing the prednisone but will have to taper off slowly in a few days cause I will be running out soon. I am also doing vit. E

I sure wish I could help you. The only thing I can think of is to make him a harness so he can stand but without putting all his weight on his feet. Maybe tie it to each side of his box and his food put so he can easily reach it. I have an idea of how to fashion it. I'll make a drawing and upload it. You can raise his feed and water so he car reach it. But not knock it over if he decides to fling his wings or act nuts in frustration. I'll look for some material that is "airey" and see if I can make him one. I have a roo that looks just like yours. He can be the model.

Quote:
Are you unable to get anymore Prednisone? It's very cheap and there must be someone on here (a vet) that will send you a Rx. If not let me know and I will see what I can do. I have RA and I get it periodically for myself. If it is helping him, I hate to see him go without. You need to get brave and start asking for what you need, or should I say, what your roo needs, I mean in the way of meds and things. Let me know if you can't get it from a vet or a doctor. I'll try to get some from my doc.
hide.gif

Quote:

I sure wish I could help you. The only thing I can think of is to make him a harness so he can stand but without putting all his weight on his feet. Maybe tie it to each side of his box and his food put so he can easily reach it. I have an idea of how to fashion it. I'll make a drawing and upload it. You can raise his feed and water so he car reach it. But not knock it over if he decides to fling his wings or act nuts in frustration. I'll look for some material that is "airey" and see if I can make him one. I have a roo that looks just like yours. He can be the model.

oh thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom