THE LAVENDER MARANS THREAD

So Lavender Marans are lavender or "self blue in color and are not related to the blue color of Blue Copper Marans. They should be a very uniform silvery grey color like other lavender colored birds.
Their foundation stock is from BCM mostly. Lavender Orpingtons were used to bring in the lavender color, then many generations of breeding back to maintain the proper Marans appearance and proper egg color. 😊
Okay, neat!
I have never heard of Lavender Marans before today then! They're really pretty, though!

Also, I love your signature! It's so true!

Okay, neat!
I have never heard of Lavender Marans before today then! They're really pretty, though!

Also, I love your signature! It's so true!
Thanks! Yes they are fairly new. They are not a recognized color yet. We just happen to have a breeder here who has some and I bought mine from him. Here are some newer photos of Bella. She is wearing athletic tape shoes due to some foot issues we are treating her for. She also displays some shredded feathers near the base of her tail which is typical of most lavender colored birds.😊
976B35A0-1B76-475E-AEF3-AEBD477F4538.jpeg
0086B918-FD94-4167-AC23-9FF637934953.jpeg

Last edited:
Just thought I'd share some photos of my ladies. They're almost four months old now....

View attachment 2841582
Huguette and Brume in behind her

View attachment 2841587

Bottoms up Brume! And Elle my Canadian Bresse (I wish her beautiful steel blue legs were showing)

View attachment 2841599

Brume, the most social of all my ladies
Your little cuties have gotten so big! 😊
I’m guessing mine is about five months old though I’m not 100% sure. Her comb is starting to get bigger but I suspect she’s about a month behind the BCM I bought with her, that just started laying.

Thanks! Yes they are fairly new. They are not a recognized color yet. We just happen to have a breeder here who has some and I bought mine from him. Here are some newer photos of Bella. She is wearing athletic tape shoes due to some foot issues we are treating her for. She also displays some shredded feathers near the base of her tail which is typical of most lavender colored birds.😊View attachment 2841700View attachment 2841701
She is very pretty! :love

Thanks! Yes they are fairly new. They are not a recognized color yet. We just happen to have a breeder here who has some and I bought mine from him. Here are some newer photos of Bella. She is wearing athletic tape shoes due to some foot issues we are treating her for. She also displays some shredded feathers near the base of her tail which is typical of most lavender colored birds.😊View attachment 2841700View attachment 2841701
Very pretty ladies <3 Mine have more shredded feathers, its nice to see what they look like without them. So sleek!

Bella just laid her first egg today! 😀
Photo of it below as well as next to her BCM “sister” and her half BCM flock mates eggs for comparison. Bella’s is the smallest one at the bottom of the photo.😊
View attachment 2865060View attachment 2865057View attachment 2865058
Such beautiful colors! I can’t wait till my girls finally lay an egg!! They’ve been free loading since April and now it’s getting cold and light is decreasing 😩😩 might be no eggs till spring now!

Thanks! ❤️
Bought the Marans in July and so nice to see the dark egg colors I was hoping for.
I know it seems like forever when you’re waiting for that first egg! 😊
My little Silverudds/EE laid a gorgeous teal colored egg on September 20 and hasn’t laid another one since! I thought something was wrong with her and kept checking to see if she was egg bound, but she is perfectly fine and I think has decided that she wants nothing to do with this egg laying business!🤣
My Olive Egger is 25 weeks old now and has a huge comb and wattles, but no sign of eggs from her yet either!
I also have a Shetland Hen that’s supposed to lay a robins egg blue colored egg but no sign of eggs from her yet either and I think she’s probably about six months old.🤣

Thanks! ❤️
Bought the Marans in July and so nice to see the dark egg colors I was hoping for.
I know it seems like forever when you’re waiting for that first egg! 😊
My little Silverudds/EE laid a gorgeous teal colored egg on September 20 and hasn’t laid another one since! I thought something was wrong with her and kept checking to see if she was egg bound, but she is perfectly fine and I think has decided that she wants nothing to do with this egg laying business!🤣
My Olive Egger is 25 weeks old now and has a huge comb and wattles, but no sign of eggs from her yet either!
I also have a Shetland Hen that’s supposed to lay a robins egg blue colored egg but no sign of eggs from her yet either and I think she’s probably about six months old.🤣
Haha I gotta say I don’t blame her for being uninterested in egg laying! Seems like a lotta work 😆😆

It’s good to know I’m not the only one impatiently waiting! I know they’re close, the GLW is 7.5 months old and the silkies are almost 8 months old. And now that the days are shortening all my quail have quit laying! It’s like they said “well I smell Fall, let’s shut this down” like a light switch turning off! It’s fascinating that it’s that quick! I went from 15/day last week to 2 today! Sad times! 😆

I have a broody sitting on some BCM eggs that were crossed with my Lavender Marans rooster! Will the hatched chicks present as BCM with some having the self-blue gene?

Back
Top Bottom