The Legbar Thread!

Been really busy with lots of things so it's been along while since I posted. 'Legbar' the rooster has finally matured nicely and the girls started laying over a month ago (3/18 hatch) Now I've got my first peeps when one of the leghorn cross hens went broody and encouraged one of the legbar hens to set too. Four peeps shared by two broodies! Peeps look to be three girls and one boy.

Here is Legbar in the breeding pen with two of his ladies - the head down hen is a cream legbar, the bottom hen is silver leghorn x EE (lays white eggs pulled for breakfast at this point)

Broody legbar hen

Leghorn x EE broody with the legbar chicks

SOMEONE HELP ME!, some one is saying on a facebook page Melow is not a pure CLB because she lays white eggs how dare they!, someone help me is she or not???

I thought CLB only laid blue to green eggs. Never heard of one laying white eggs.
well if she is not a pure breed i should go back and demand a full breed and tell them i am keeping Melow for the trouble they caused me!, im sure shes CLB she has a green ear lobe at POL but then slowly it turned white :/

well if she is not a pure breed i should go back and demand a full breed and tell them i am keeping Melow for the trouble they caused me!, im sure shes CLB she has a green ear lobe at POL but then slowly it turned white :/
Hi Johnn,

It wouldn't hurt to try to explain to the pet store that since Melow lays a white egg, you have suspicions that she isn't a "pure bred" - and would they please give you another Cream Legbar. You might just get another chicken.

Meanwhile, you have been thinking that she is a CL, she's your pet, she's a good egg-layer, and she has all the traits that you are looking for. Is there a chance that her egg is very very very light blue, and not actually white? Do you have a white layer to compare it with, or put on a sheet of white paper. It wouldn't hurt to speak of your concern with the pet shop owners.

Other than if you are planning to breed or show her, does it really matter?? She has the traits that you like...including boodiness....and she is a pretty and sweet chicken...so if she isn't "registered" (aka purebred) is it of any consequence? Just my thoughts.

don't be upset by what people post on forums is the advice of the day.

Ladies and gentlemen of the forum. I thought that I would be coming to y'all for help in sexing the chicks....if there were any chicks....

and low and behold...there are 6- and we were able to sex them (all except the very last one that came out very wet and we had to rush off...but we had strong correct suspicion of the right sex) sexable just about at the moment of hatch.

Here are pictures...

Final count--- two boys and 4 girls. (am I lucky or what?) Happy Labor Day. (these guys started hatching at 6AM and the last one popped out just before 6:30PM so they had a day of labor...and now they are sleeping in their brooder box.

Back
Top Bottom