The Legbar Thread!

Final count--- two boys and 4 girls. (am I lucky or what?)

It has defiantly been a pullet year. I have heard and seen ratios like 12:3, 6:1, 8:4, etc. in favor of the pullets. The old timers say that you will have pullet years and you will have cockerel years. I am wondering is chickens go into some type of a survival mode where they will produce more pullets than cockerels when their flock is small or when their are more roos than hens.

Ladies and gentlemen of the forum.  I thought that I would be coming to y'all for help in sexing the chicks....if there were any chicks....

and low and behold...there are 6-  and we were able to sex them (all except the very last one that came out very wet and we had to rush off...but we had strong correct suspicion of the right sex)  sexable just about at the moment of hatch.

Here are pictures...

Final count--- two boys and 4 girls.  (am I lucky or what?)  Happy Labor Day.  (these guys started hatching at 6AM and the last one popped out just before 6:30PM so they had a day of labor...and now they are sleeping in their brooder box.  

So Dang Cute... Happy Labor Day. I had my daughter on Labor Day Seventeen years ago....
I love Labor Day :) Congrats on your babies <3

Not at my house. Every group of eggs I hatch, I'm lucky to have one or two girls, the rest are all boys!

Deb
Deb,

Ya...I do remember that I got two of my cockerels from a batch of 18 eggs that only hatched 7 cockerels and 1 pullet. The old timers I was chatting with a while back said that some hens are prone to produce more pullets than cockerels. I didn't believe them at the time, but the more and more heavy weighted pullet hatches I heard of the more I was inclined to believe that. I guess people just aren't reporting the heavy weighted cockerel hatches as much. :)

Last edited:
Deb,

Ya...I do remember that I got two of my cockerels from a batch of 18 eggs that only hatched 7 cockerels and 1 pullet. The old timers I was chatting with a while back said that some hens are prone to produce more pullets than cockerels. I didn't believe them at the time, but the more and more heavy weighted pullet hatches I heard of the more I was inclined to believe that. I guess people just aren't reporting the heavy weighted cockerel hatches as much. :)

Though math isn't my strong point, I recall reading that numbers are tricky when it comes to randomness and proportions and what-all. What looks like an overabundance on one side or the other (heads/tails, pullet/cockerel) in the short run (what, come to think of it, counts as the short run?) may not be in the long run (which, with chickens, seems to be about a hundred years, sigh). Small comfort when one is faced with a completely unreasonable number of cockerels.

I agree,
No way you can sell a chick that you know is a roo as straight run
ep.gif
, but that is one of the joys of this breed.
Next year I imagine these will be quite freely available and there will be plenty of hen chicks as everyone will be hatching like crazy from this years birds.

On the sex thing..... last year hatches seemed to come out all roos, and they were ameraucanas so were impossible to sex early
barnie.gif

At the start of this year it was the year of the female chick, but I think it has evened itself out now. Last CL hatch was 7/9 roos :( .

Last edited:
I agree,
No way you can sell a chick that you know is a roo as straight run
ep.gif
, but that is one of the joys of this breed.

My situation is, I had hatched some barnyard mix chicks. I advertised them on CL as straight run for $2 each. I had a lady looking at them that kept commenting on how much she was afraid of getting boys. There were a couple of chicks in there that were BSL (I had a couple of barred girls being covered by a Welsummer roo). When she started to pick the chicks she wanted, I had to steer her away from those two. I couldn't let her buy them even though she thought the little white spot on their head was so cute. I believe those have since gone into the freezer with all of their brothers.

Deb

Back
Top Bottom