The Legbar Thread!

Hi - Blue Eggs here . I think I scored about 8, but at the time hadn't noticed that a low score was good, so thought I was rubbish
smile.png
Feel much happier now I re-read the way the scoring works. That's the trouble with doing PC stuff too late at night
smile.png

So far this is the favoured "boy" this year, though I have a couple more coming on the check out yet. Its surprising how much the change as they mature, and he is about 25/26 weeks here
Sue, nice to see you here.

-Curtis-

Here are the first 4 to hatch last night.

2 boys and 2 girls. 3 more hatched today, I believe that they are 2 more girls and 1 boy. They are still pretty floppy and goopy, I had to separate these guys because they were checking out the new comers like they might be good to eat. I have one more egg that pipped and 2 that haven't dfone anything yet.

Congratulations...what adorable baby chicks....and WHO doesn't LOVE chicks??? And they grow so fast!

Congratulations!! I've got chicks hatching today, too. Lots of WA State Legbar babies. So far there are 4 girls and 1 boy. I only put the eggs over 45 grams in the incubator until the last day when I added a 42 gram egg. Interestingly, that was the first one to hatch. She is definitely smaller than the others. Hopefully, in a few days she'll catch up. It's so great to be able to tell the sex right away.
big_smile.png

Congratulations!! I've got chicks hatching today, too. Lots of WA State Legbar babies. So far there are 4 girls and 1 boy. I only put the eggs over 45 grams in the incubator until the last day when I added a 42 gram egg. Interestingly, that was the first one to hatch. She is definitely smaller than the others. Hopefully, in a few days she'll catch up. It's so great to be able to tell the sex right away.
big_smile.png
Congrats to you too! The Northwest invasion begins!

I agree that its nice to know right away and not have to wait 3 months or more. Watching them hatch and be able to say "It's a girl". I have 4 and 4. So relieved to not have 7 boys and 1 girl. One of the girls had a curled up foot yesterday but today looks much better. I measure only in cuteness (sadly).

Good luck with the rest of your hatch! What kind of incubator do you use?

Last edited:
I only put the eggs over 45 grams in the incubator until the last day when I added a 42 gram egg. Interestingly, that was the first one to hatch.

One of the hatching guids that I saw (refference?) said that Bantam eggs and Pullet eggs only should hatch in 20 days (large fowl egg in 21 days, and Bantam pullet eggs in 19 days). So... the 42 gm egg sounds like it was right on schedual. :)

Last edited:
One of the hatching guids that I saw (refference?) said that Bantam eggs and Pullet eggs only should hatch in 20 days (large fowl egg in 21 days, and Bantam pullet eggs in 19 days). So... the 42 gm egg sounds like it was right on schedual. :)
chicks coming from my large cochin hatch from 18 to 22 days, so size of hen is not what counts, seems like the age of the egg is the factor

I read an article that found that for every day an egg is siting prior to setting is one hour longer it takes till hatch, so older eggs tend to hatch a bit later, hatch smaller chicks, and more die in the shell at the end of incubation/during hatching.
I can believe that. The early hatchers seem more vigorous and pop out easier. The later ones, even within 10 hours of the first, seem more traumatized by the process and appear smaller. I watched a couple struggle and then added more water to bring the humidity up and the last one popped out like the first ones. I learn more with each batch.

I read an article that found that for every day an egg is siting prior to setting is one hour longer it takes till hatch, so older eggs tend to hatch a bit later, hatch smaller chicks, and more die in the shell at the end of incubation/during hatching.
The temperature the eggs are stored at makes a difference too. The embryo starts to incubate at tempuratures over 72 degrees. Storing eggs above 72 degrees speeds up the expected incubation time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom