The Legbar Thread!

Flaming chicken,
I got one pullet to 3 roosters, Im trying to send you a pm but it wont go through, if you have any pullets let me know.
I love this breed and just am having a hard time getting pullets.

Flaming chicken, I got one pullet to 3 roosters, Im trying to send you a pm but it wont go through, if you have any pullets let me know. I love this breed and just am having a hard time getting pullets.
Good to hear from you. I am glad you finally got a pullet. Sorry about all the boys! I just got 4 girls and 4 boys and will be selling them in pairs.

Ya all, am I understanding the sentiment expressed? If this is the case then the UK standard should be adapted with no or minimum change. A cream legbar that meets that standard is a bona fide cream legbar. Then it's the responsibility of the small and large scale breeders to breed to this standard. This is a great way to go because it sets a clear bar. However, within this thought is that until stock improves, some legbars aren't quite there as cream legbars. That's what standards do, they say yes this is or no this is not.
and, along with what you say, it shifts focus from changing the breed as Punnett intended.....to maintaining the breed. I know some folks want to be creative, and some want to build a cream legbar....I want to reach back into history.

One question that keeps dogging my mind--- but then I have said it a number of times....and it will come up when a club is formed and the draft SOP is dissected etc.... and the club will be working toward the submission to the APA.

On an entirely different subject...

A raccoon killed two of my pullets, and pulled the wing entirely off another. The hardware cloth was 1". I am retrofitting to 1/4 inch...and kicking my self, for not setting the live trap that night, for taking the dogs with me to a different location. As I was driving up to the coops that day I had a clear idea of how to protect that group in the most vulnerable housing from any predator---but I was a dollar short and a day late.

Last night the bait was taken from the live trap but it wasn't sprung...(old rusty trap). Tonight in addition to that trap there are two OTHERS set in close proximity to where I know the predator will go.

The pullet without the wing is eating, and chirping. She may make it...but there is more or less an exposed bone...the entire wing was ripped clean off. I'm in mourning. Uninjured were the two cockerels born Sept 3 and one female.

and, along with what you say, it shifts focus from changing the breed as Punnett intended.....to maintaining the breed. I know some folks want to be creative, and some want to build a cream legbar....I want to reach back into history.

One question that keeps dogging my mind--- but then I have said it a number of times....and it will come up when a club is formed and the draft SOP is dissected etc.... and the club will be working toward the submission to the APA.

A raccoon killed two of my pullets, and pulled the wing entirely off another. The hardware cloth was 1". I am retrofitting to 1/4 inch...and kicking my self, for not setting the live trap that night, for taking the dogs with me to a different location. As I was driving up to the coops that day I had a clear idea of how to protect that group in the most vulnerable housing from any predator---but I was a dollar short and a day late.

Last night the bait was taken from the live trap but it wasn't sprung...(old rusty trap). Tonight in addition to that trap there are two OTHERS set in close proximity to where I know the predator will go.

The pullet without the wing is eating, and chirping. She may make it...but there is more or less an exposed bone...the entire wing was ripped clean off. I'm in mourning. Uninjured were the two cockerels born Sept 3 and one female.
So sorry about the raccoon attack. We lost quite a few chickens our selves to raccoons. Our coop and run is break in free now. Probably don't get enough ventilation but no more unwanted guests.

Sorry to hear about this.
sad.png
I hope your pullet makes it!

That's heartbreaking! So sorry ChicKat.

so sorry! :(

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

We caught a 14# raccoon in one trap...two other traps the bait was taken but trap not sprung...and dh shot an 8# raccoon because he heard the noise and got him in the dark.

Retrofitting 1" hardware cloth with 1/4"--- there will be no more reach-throughs.

The wounded pullet is still chirping, eating....and resting. The other three are O.K. -- so there were at least 2-raccoons...and I will set traps again tonight...oil the mechanisms.

Sorry about your pullets ChicKat.
I'm sharing a picture of a cockerel that hatched about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Of the seven cockerels I've seen he's the lightest. Had almost no striping in his chick down and was more an uneven yellow-tinged-with-brown/grey. I'm glad he's different than the other darker ones. It will be interesting to see if he grows out boring, or leads us to the promised land. The top picture was taken today with flash, the third picture today without flash.

Back
Top Bottom