The Legbar Thread!

It seems like the changeable weather this time of year really affects all the birds - yesterday was sunny, pleasant and 45, today 34, cloudy with a blustery strong wind. Thank goodness for central heating.

It seems like the changeable weather this time of year really affects all the birds - yesterday was sunny, pleasant and 45, today 34, cloudy with a blustery strong wind. Thank goodness for central heating.
Likewise here.... we had 90's - and a west-facing thermometer said 99 day-before-yesterday...oppressive heat when you aren't used to it. And...yesterday and today 45-55 and windy.

We have 2 Blue Heelers...how is yours crazy?

Too many chickens? hmmmm I'll have to think on that one.

These chickens need a talking to about the perils of being a big slouch.  Thus far they are the worst producers I have ever seen.  Born in Oct. -- Wonder just how they were raised... Big chickens - nice plumage - no eggs.  This is their third week here too.  

Jett, pay heed. Slacker hen.

Bella thinks she knows Everything, and wants everything to run on a schedule - hers. She has that superpower ESP stare that herding dogs can have. And requires 30 minutes a day of dedicated toy chasing, not letting anything like furniture, cats or other solid objects slow her down. But she is very friendly and social, and pays absolutely no attention to the chickens, rabbits, squirrels, or any other animal except one (but only that one) of the neighbor dogs who is NOT allowed in our yard for some reason. Truly a great dog. Oh - she is also deaf.

Herself with the flock:

Question for you guys. I got a breeding pair of Legbars were imported from Greenfire. The hen just went through a molt and was off laying when I got her. She laid a beautiful robin's blue egg the next day much to my suprise and another blue egg a few days later. Since then she's laid a more muted blue/green egg. Do you think the restarting of her laying has gotten the color off a bit?

Here are the eggs for comparison

Second egg she produced: The nice blue!

Now her eggs are looking like this

Bella thinks she knows Everything, and wants everything to run on a schedule - hers. She has that superpower ESP stare that herding dogs can have. And requires 30 minutes a day of dedicated toy chasing, not letting anything like furniture, cats or other solid objects slow her down. But she is very friendly and social, and pays absolutely no attention to the chickens, rabbits, squirrels, or any other animal except one (but only that one) of the neighbor dogs who is NOT allowed in our yard for some reason. Truly a great dog. Oh - she is also deaf.

Herself with the flock:

Love Cattle Dogs. We had to put our 16 year old Stu down last year. My husband took it hard. But we have another one now - Bravo, he's not quite a year yet and a lot of work. But they are amazingly smart dogs and wonderful pets. Bravo needs some maturing but he's a gorgeous dog. When we first got Stu no one knew what he was and my husband would love taking him out with him. They were really best friends. Stu was a truly amazing dog and I miss him dearly. His ashes sit on the mantle in the living room and my 4 year old will sometimes still talk to him.
Bella does have super ESP as all Blue Heelers do....plus everyone knows they speak and understand exactly what you're saying.

Alleysfarm: Lots of things can effect egg color and frequency, like time of year, diet, weather, stress etc. Do you know what she ate before you got her?

Congratulations - now you should post some pictures of your chicks!

Strangely if there aren't other roosters (or predators) around, my one CL hardly crowed at all. You may luck out. He isn't crowing much at his new home -- in a city BTW-- and is really a good guy - albeit pretty big and hefty for a Cream Legbar.
new GFF CL chicks:

they made the trip all the way from GFF in FLA to Seattle and all seem to be doing well so far.

Back
Top Bottom