The Legbar Thread!

Quote:

. . . . Habibs Hens, when are you coming and where are you visiting?  How many eggs do you think you can bring?

Habib's Hens, you really should consider Michigan for your visit. The weather is much nicer than all those hot southern and western states, and it's less crowded than the eastern states.

May I suggest the Lansing airport? It's smaller and friendlier than Detroit's. I'll meet you there.
;-)

Widget Creek successfully imported Sulmtaler eggs. I would take the chance if there were enough eggs in the shipment to justify the shipping expense. I've already tried to import eggs but couldn't find someone willing to send them.

But, if you are planning a visit anyway, bring those eggs with you. I'll take them off your hands.

Originally Posted by cjwaldon

Quote:

. . . . Habibs Hens, when are you coming and where are you visiting? How many eggs do you think you can bring?

I might just go halfsies with you
big_smile.png

Habib's Hens, you really should consider Michigan for your visit. The weather is much nicer than all those hot southern and western states, and it's less crowded than the eastern states.

May I suggest the Lansing airport? It's smaller and friendlier than Detroit's. I'll meet you there.
;-)

I'll keep every one posted on this

last time my trip that got cancelled for this June was going to be Orlando but now not sure as I haven't booked anything

quantity is not an issue as long as I get the all clear for my flock

I am going to raise Jill, Emily and Sue line of birds

Last edited:
Uh no sorry, I think you got 4 males there.... the white maybe not I've not had as many of them and I can't see the top of it's head very well.  But the regular CLs are all male. :(  Bummer.

Oh well. Not too disappointed. My rooster could use some work as far as too much rust coloring so maybe one of these will have the more desired color.
Its hard to photograph by I'm pretty sure there is a definite v shape on the white ones head with very light stripe down her back. Really hoping girl on that one.

Well, just keep in mind we are noticing the dark boys don't usually grow out with correct coloring. I would consider all of your boys dark. But if you keep and grow them up be sure and post pictures so we can continue refining our theory!

Well, just keep in mind we are noticing the dark boys don't usually grow out with correct coloring. I would consider all of your boys dark. But if you keep and grow them up be sure and post pictures so we can continue refining our theory!
so what is your dark boys theory. I think i missed that part of it. How are most of the dark ones coloring out. I just got my first 2 dark males

Nicalandia has postulated that the dark boys have the wrong barring gene, I think it's earlier in this thread. They also seem to feather out with more chestnut. W e are getting the same advice from UK breeders, that the dark boys won't grow up to anything good color wise. I'm not 100% sure as I'm not saving boys quite yet but I will save a dark one or two when I am ready to see if it's right. Love all the wonderful help with people tracking things down, but rather than believe everything I read I want to do some breeding and raising myself and test the theories.

Quote:
I'll keep every one posted on this

last time my trip that got cancelled for this June was going to be Orlando but now not sure as I haven't booked anything

quantity is not an issue as long as I get the all clear for my flock

I am going to raise Jill, Emily and Sue line of birds

This is wonderful news. Thank you for looking in to the process. Might I add that the Colorado Rockies are a tourist destination both for skiing in the winter and summer fun
smile.png

For all of the folks on this side, remember there are regulations for importing animals and animal products. An importation permit must be obtained ($150) and the shipment must not only be accompanied by the proper paperwork, but then inspected by a USDA vet at port of entry (cost varies, minimum $40 but may be more depending on time and after hours/weekend price)--so Habib's Hens will need to fly in to one of those ports for the inspection then carry on from there once past the gate-keeper.

I would kindly suggest maximizing the numbers of eggs you can bring in your carry-on and make sure the trip does not coincide with a non-laying broody time of year or the per egg cost will be ridiculous.

Nicalandia has postulated that the dark boys have the wrong barring gene, I think it's earlier in this thread. They also seem to feather out with more chestnut. W e are getting the same advice from UK breeders, that the dark boys won't grow up to anything good color wise. I'm not 100% sure as I'm not saving boys quite yet but I will save a dark one or two when I am ready to see if it's right. Love all the wonderful help with people tracking things down, but rather than believe everything I read I want to do some breeding and raising myself and test the theories.
I got my only two dark boys to hatch from my only hen that i would call cream for sure. She was very light and had the biggest eggs. to date I only got two of her eggs to hatch but they were both dark boys with excellent barring so far as they are growing out.

kinda strange to get all these light grey chicks from the more gold looking hens and the dark down males from the only cream looking hen i have.

here mousy mousy mousy . she was running around playing keep away from the other chickens. trying to peck it apart to eat it. As soon as i cam with the camera she wasn't going to take the chance of me taking it from her. I wouldn't of course, but she thought i would so she ate it whole just like a snake would.

Last edited:
This is wonderful news. Thank you for looking in to the process. Might I add that the Colorado Rockies are a tourist destination both for skiing in the winter and summer fun
smile.png

For all of the folks on this side, remember there are regulations for importing animals and animal products. An importation permit must be obtained ($150) and the shipment must not only be accompanied by the proper paperwork, but then inspected by a USDA vet at port of entry (cost varies, minimum $40 but may be more depending on time and after hours/weekend price)--so Habib's Hens will need to fly in to one of those ports for the inspection then carry on from there once past the gate-keeper.

I would kindly suggest maximizing the numbers of eggs you can bring in your carry-on and make sure the trip does not coincide with a non-laying broody time of year or the per egg cost will be ridiculous.

its allot more expensive than that for the testing on chicks http://www.aphis.usda.gov/mrpbs/fmd/vs_import_export_fees.shtml

eggs per load for any purpose is 75 or 80 bucks

Last edited:
Quote:
I believe the $80 is for land borders, off the plane the minimum is $40 but there is an hourly rate of $132 and there are surcharges if it is after hours or Sundays so it could be even worse than the $80 by far.

Hatching eggs are a gamble anyways, so this is sort of like if you were going to Vegas and willing to lose $500 at the tables and were at peace with the loss, then gamble on the eggs. At least the thrill of the gamble lasts 21 days not the few hours that it takes most people to lose that kind of cash gambling. If Habib's hens could bring over many dozens and the cost divided amongst several people the per egg cost wouldn't be as bad.

The thing is that I would not be inclined at this time because a)I have no money for this sort of thing and b)I think that Habib's Hens needs to prove that he can hatch and raise quality stock before anyone will be interested. Its one thing to say you are getting your stock from a reliable source and another to demonstrate that you yourself are a quality breeder and know how to cull and develop the birds in your flock. Perhaps a few years down the road when I hopefully have more $ and he has a proven track record of hatching and raising Cream Legbars I would consider it.

For now, Steen, I am content with learning more about the breed and working with your two little ladies and anything that hatches from the eggs that sat over the weekend at some airport in a priority mail box (shipped Saturday, due to arrive yesterday but went missing over the weekend, sorted through Denver USPS this morning). If they were delayed getting on the plane in California I am afraid that I am screwed with the heat wave they are experiencing. I sure hope they were sitting in Denver.

Back
Top Bottom