The Legbar Thread!

I think...(I'm not 100%) it looks like chicks #6, #5, #4and #2 have dark spots on their beaks #1 is ? I'm pretty sure CL don't have that. In the second group photo I think the legbars are in front #3 and #7 seem to have a more defined head stripe light vs dark chick #1 is why I'm not 100%

Hi hannakat!

The pictures are not ideal for getting a for-sure ID. It looks to me like #3 and #7 have a slightly lighter headspot within the darker V. If this is not true and you see other chicks with a headspot those would be your two CL chicks. The angle and lighting of your photos makes it hard to make a definitive ID.

The other thing that my 2 CL pullets have that is different than the welsummers I have reared is the comb. The welsummers have all had a nice evenly ridged comb that stood directly vertical. The two CL chicks hatched with their combs folded flat to one side . The combs are straightening upright as they grow but at 3 weeks the back portion is still folded/crooked. This may be a clue. Standing straight=wellie, folded=CL.

My wellies had distinctly yellow legs. Of the two Legbars, one had more of a willow color and the other's legs are not as deeply yellow as my wellies were at the same age.

Of course some of the differences may be because of the various lines within the breed, but that's my take from my limited CL experience.

Hi hannakat!

The pictures are not ideal for getting a for-sure ID. It looks to me like #3 and #7 have a slightly lighter headspot within the darker V. If this is not true and you see other chicks with a headspot those would be your two CL chicks. The angle and lighting of your photos makes it hard to make a definitive ID.

The other thing that my 2 CL pullets have that is different than the welsummers I have reared is the comb. The welsummers have all had a nice evenly ridged comb that stood directly vertical. The two CL chicks hatched with their combs folded flat to one side . The combs are straightening upright as they grow but at 3 weeks the back portion is still folded/crooked. This may be a clue. Standing straight=wellie, folded=CL.

My wellies had distinctly yellow legs. Of the two Legbars, one had more of a willow color and the other's legs are not as deeply yellow as my wellies were at the same age.

Of course some of the differences may be because of the various lines within the breed, but that's my take from my limited CL experience.

Thank you everyone!

I'll redo the photos tomorrow dretd getting a more straight on/from above shots and just delete the first set of photos.

I've been a bit upset that I paid so much for those 3 CL and they had no form of identification to separate them from the Welsummer chicks.

Oh well!!! I'll try again tomorrow. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

I'll redo the photos tomorrow dretd getting a more straight on/from above shots and just delete the first set of photos.

I've been a bit upset that I paid so much for those 3 CL and they had no form of identification to separate them from the Welsummer chicks.

Oh well!!!   I'll try again tomorrow.  Thank you.

Ok so I got to a different computer with a better screen. It looks like you have at least one male wellie-- did you order any?

Here is my new guess:
1-wellie female
2-poss wellie male-- it's probably just a bad angle
3-cream Legbar female
4-wellie female
5-wellie male
6-wellie female
7-cream Legbar female

The male Welles do not have a very distinct eyeliner and the edges of the V are not distinct. Now it could be shadowing/ lighting on the suspect males, but they don't have very well defined eyeliner apparent in the photos.

Last edited:
I was guessing 3 and 7 because they looked more like my girls in head shape, beak, and higher/narrow dark "v" on the head than the others. Sorry to not be more help, I've never had Welsummers
hugs.gif

I've been reading on here and there is a lot of awesome info on color genetics etc. But not really much on type/shape.
I'm wondering if someone out there ( with lots more knowledge then lil oil' me) would be willing to do something like what was done on this website for Holland lops for the legbars?
www.oakridgerabbitry.weebly.com/holland-lop-type.HTML
If above link isn't click-able please copy and paste.
Its easy to read/know the sop but to actually SEE it would really help B)

Easy way to tell at that age is by feathering. Cream legbars feather out faster. I raise both and the cream legbars wing feathers grow much faster.

Back
Top Bottom