The Legbar Thread!

Sunny is fading with age. Interesting how a bird may fall in or out of a color spectrum with age and molting. He is just finishing his first molt. What do you think?
From that view -- I think that Sunny does look splendid. -- The bottom of his hackles and his saddles are a color that appeals to my eye more than the top -- His tail has great barring. His barring is regular.His breast is dark. One thing that I thnk is neat is how his wing bar -- what would be solid in a duck-wing is distinct. Like that look a lot. His comb and wattles -- Comb nice and straight and his earlobes white. He really is a nice example IMO - Also has nice tight and high wing carriage. He's a gem.

From that view -- I think that Sunny does look splendid. -- The bottom of his hackles and his saddles are a color that appeals to my eye more than the top -- His tail has great barring. His barring is regular.His breast is dark. One thing that I thnk is neat is how his wing bar -- what would be solid in a duck-wing is distinct. Like that look a lot. His comb and wattles -- Comb nice and straight and his earlobes white. He really is a nice example IMO - Also has nice tight and high wing carriage. He's a gem.
Well, because I am kind of in love with him... I have many pictures from many angles... But, I truly am not offended by any negative feedback, I would just like to learn. Sunny was a cast off of @flyingmonkeypoop ... and I know he knows more than I do. So, it isn't like I think he is the best in the world. I know his tail can be held high at times. I know many don't like this color... But... What is right.? Where does he need work. Should I worry more about the color the first year or the color after molt... Mike, if you happen to see this, do you remember exactly how old Sunny is?

I believe you got him from me last fall, right? I am 95% sure he was hatched last spring and was a full sibling of the main male I used this year. He was in my top 3 and I was splitting hairs when I chose which to keep.

yeah, think it was Sept. Yes he is a full brother to your rooster ... unfortunately I think your was taken by an owl... Have you kept any of yours long enough to tell if the fading with molt is typical, or just hot summer and free range issues. :)

So here I go...
Firstly the cockerel I will be keeping, he has feathered out more and may be a bit larger, his barring seems to be getting better too

Next a size comparison with their lovely surrogate mommy!

So here I go...
Firstly the cockerel I will be keeping, he has feathered out more and may be a bit larger, his barring seems to be getting better too

Next a size comparison with their lovely surrogate mommy!
They are looking good! So far the little cockerels look nice but time will tell, they change so much. I hope you keep us updated on his progress.

And too funny seeing them with the mom, sooooo cute how tiny she is!

They are looking good! So far the little cockerels look nice but time will tell, they change so much. I hope you keep us updated on his progress.

And too funny seeing them with the mom, sooooo cute how tiny she is!
Thank you! I know, the cockerel I will be keeping still has some white primaries, 1 on one side and 3 on the other. Yes shes our smallest chicken (living with 3 younger wyandotte bantams) but also our most reliable broody - so she gets the honour of raising our (in this case fairly expensive) chicks
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom