The Legbar Thread!

Hi again! I am raising a mind flock complete with: CL, Bielefelders, BCM, Australorps, golden laced wyandotte, lavender Orpingtons, lavender Cochins, olive and Easter Eggers. I'd like to keep one or two cockerels but am trying to decide on which one: BCM, CL or a Bielefelder...or all 3. My flock, with them included, is at 25. All 3 are still young~ between 6-10 weeks, so they're all sweet. What is everyone's experience with their Roos? Means and Biels seem to have the best reps... I'm also contemplating the lavender Orpington or Cochin just because they're so pretty
1f601.png

Hi again! I am raising a mind flock complete with: CL, Bielefelders, BCM, Australorps, golden laced wyandotte, lavender Orpingtons, lavender Cochins, olive and Easter Eggers. I'd like to keep one or two cockerels but am trying to decide on which one: BCM, CL or a Bielefelder...or all 3. My flock, with them included, is at 25. All 3 are still young~ between 6-10 weeks, so they're all sweet. What is everyone's experience with their Roos? Means and Biels seem to have the best reps... I'm also contemplating the lavender Orpington or Cochin just because they're so pretty
1f601.png

Well, we just had to rehome a Splash Marans as he crowed all night long (yup, just about every hour on the hour). We did keep a bunch of eggs from him and we'll see if he was just "time challenged" or if it was a breed kind of thing. He wasn't exactly friendly as he did bump (not charge) my husband a couple of times, but he wasn't what I would call aggressive.

Our lovely Biel Jeremy (named after the teenager in "Zits" comic strip) is just the opposite. He's only 4 months old and his crowing sounds like a boy's voice cracking combined with a frog in pain - it is a hoot! He'll probably get more control and volume as he gets older but his is a much deeper sound that doesn't travel so far. He also only crows a bit in the am and very little in the pm (my kinda boy!). And even though I raised him from a chick, he's a bit wary of me but no challenging. His "sisters" jump all over me but he just kind of watches their antics as "those girls just wanna have fun"!

Hope this helps!

I'm looking for some help here from someone that hopefully has some quality ccl's. I am on my third hatch of ccl's and I'm seriously confused about the quality of my birds, even though they are from the coveted Rees line from greenfire farms. I'm not real familiar with what the auto sexing chicks should look like, but I am getting so many different down colors and markings that I just don't know what I should be looking for. I understand about the spot on the head and the chipmunk stripes, and the eye liner,but it seems like I have everything but consistency. So if someone could possibly point me in the right direction on what I should keep from this hatch and what should not be used for breeding. I have 2 Rees roosters and 1 earlier greenfire rooster over 18 mostly Rees hens, and this is 9 of the about 25 chicks that hatched today. Some of the others are fairly wet yet, so this is the best picture I can get until tomorrow.

I'm looking for some help here from someone that hopefully has some quality ccl's. I am on my third hatch of ccl's and I'm seriously confused about the quality of my birds, even though they are from the coveted Rees line from greenfire farms. I'm not real familiar with what the auto sexing chicks should look like, but I am getting so many different down colors and markings that I just don't know what I should be looking for. I understand about the spot on the head and the chipmunk stripes, and the eye liner,but it seems like I have everything but consistency. So if someone could possibly point me in the right direction on what I should keep from this hatch and what should not be used for breeding. I have 2 Rees roosters and 1 earlier greenfire rooster over 18 mostly Rees hens, and this is 9 of the about 25 chicks that hatched today. Some of the others are fairly wet yet, so this is the best picture I can get until tomorrow.

I'm by far no expert but I'd say: males = 1,2,3,5,7,8,8 females = 4,6

Bearing in mind I'm looking at this on my 3.5inch phone screen

I'd look for in males: head spots, lighter colouring, a more blurred pattern,
Females: no head spot whatsoever, a defined dark V shape on head, crisp pattern on back & neck, defined "eyeliner"

I'm by far no expert but I'd say: males = 1,2,3,5,7,8,8 females = 4,6

Bearing in mind I'm looking at this on my 3.5inch phone screen

I'd look for in males: head spots, lighter colouring, a more blurred pattern,
Females: no head spot whatsoever, a defined dark V shape on head, crisp pattern on back & neck, defined "eyeliner"

Thanks for the input, but I don't think you understand my question. Maybe it's not clear on your screen, but did you notice that out of 7 males there are no 2 that look alike, the down colors range from almost yellow on chick #1 to black, grey, brown, reddish brown, and just random markings? Some of them have eye liner on the males, yellow head spots, white head spots, one has a black head spot with a lighter colored head. My question is ; what should the breed standard look like? To me, these chicks appear to be multiple different breeds or crosses. I have hatched a few chicks in the past from a different line and all the chicks were very similar in down color, but these seem to be all over the map.

hmm, I now understand what you mean. I'm not sure of the breed standard int terms of chick markings/patterns and would be interested to see what others have to say!

I have a feeling that chickat or someone else has posted images of R.C. Punnett's original diagrams for male and female cream legbar chick colouring, they were either on here somewhere or on the cream legbar thread...

I have a feeling that chickat or someone else has posted images of R.C. Punnett's original diagrams for male and female cream legbar chick colouring, they were either on here somewhere or on the cream legbar thread...

My problem is that I have 75 new chicks that hatched in the last 2 weeks that I wanted to sell, but I don't know if I could sell them in good conscious as ccl's. And I have 120+ more eggs ready to go in the incubator, but I don't know if I should even hatch any more. I may have to flush this entire breeding group. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I have anything here worth using. I have several other breeds from greenfire that I'm very happy with, but I'm not sure about these. I'm hoping that I'm just freaking out about nothing, but I'm not very optimistic at this point.

My problem is that I have 75 new chicks that hatched in the last 2 weeks that I wanted to sell, but I don't know if I could sell them in good conscious as ccl's. And I have 120+ more eggs ready to go in the incubator, but I don't know if I should even hatch any more. I may have to flush this entire breeding group. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I have anything here worth using. I have several other breeds from greenfire that I'm very happy with, but I'm not sure about these. I'm hoping that I'm just freaking out about nothing, but I'm not very optimistic at this point.

could you post photos of your adult cream legbars? or are you just concerned about/unsure because of the various colour patterns of your male chicks?

Back
Top Bottom