The Legbar Thread!

Hi, I was wondering what the dark brown with white spot on the head ended up being (male or female)? I have one that hatched out tonight that looks just like that. It's a darker brown with a white spot on the head. I am not sure what the sex is. thank you.

Hi, I was wondering what the dark brown with white spot on the head ended up being (male or female)?  I have one that hatched out tonight that looks just like that.  It's a darker brown with a white spot on the head.  I am not sure what the sex is.  thank you.

Can you post a picture. I find that the girls can still have a white spot.. Does it have a chipmunk strip? The girls have a chipmunk strip.
I find the boys have a spot but, also have a light halo around the spot.

Yes, some the the girls will have a small spot, but the boys spot are much larger. You also can look at the eye liner. The girls have a very heavy eye liner and the boys are less heavy (if at all) and usually not a solid line to the eye.

Last edited:
Female spots are really small and 'distinct' so there's no real blending with the outer color, anything large is generally gonna be a boy. Like GaryDean26 advised look for the eyeliner and chipmunk stripping on the body. If the body color is smudgy again it's a boy.

I have a white Cream Legbar Rooster. He is 11 weeks old. My rooster guy is coming tomorrow to pick up all my roosters and I am wondering if I should keep him, or let him go. I know White is not the standard, but is anyone breeding them? I would be happy to give him away if someone can use him.

Hi, I was wondering what the dark brown with white spot on the head ended up being (male or female)? I have one that hatched out tonight that looks just like that. It's a darker brown with a white spot on the head. I am not sure what the sex is. thank you.
yeah, this always comes along, you can blame the SOP, no other autosexing breed has these issues, Welbars,hampbars,rhodebars.. none of them have females with a white headspot...

I have a white Cream Legbar Rooster. He is 11 weeks old. My rooster guy is coming tomorrow to pick up all my roosters and I am wondering if I should keep him, or let him go. I know White is not the standard, but is anyone breeding them? I would be happy to give him away if someone can use him.
Pics? one could have a columbian like legbar(like columbian wyandottes) based on e+ and Barring they would look just like Delawares but they would be autosexable because they would still keep the e+ e allele

yeah, this always comes along, you can blame the SOP, no other auto-sexing breed has these issues, Welbars,hampbars,rhodebars.. none of them have females with a white headspot...

All of the auto-sexing breeds can have "an odd dam (hen) or so" that will produce irregular markings or non-uniformity in down patterns (See quotes below).

It is not the fault of the standard. The hens don't know what the standard is and neither do the irregular marked offspring. We just have to learn what to look for (get "practical experience"). Fortunately the learning curve is pretty quick. After learning from our first hatch even my 2 year was able to sex the chicks with 100% accuracy.
smile.png

So far from three different pairings we have had 100% sexability in my flock.

Quote: B. de H. Pickard, The Rhodebar, 1959 Auto-sexing Breeds Association year book, ‘Auto-sexing Annual’.

Quote:1951 Auto-sexing Breeds Association year book, ‘Auto-sexing Annual’.

Last edited:
I am pretty thrilled. Of my 4 original Cream Legbars that I got last February from Jordan Farms, only 1 female has the correct cream colored hackles. I thought it was pretty hopeless to try for the "correct" coloring. I hatched some offspring in October, sold 4 and kept 5. Both of the girls have the cream hackles and of the boys only one has the darker chestnut coloring of my roo. And one of the boys has a nice straight comb. I love the personalities of all of them but the young, having been saved the trauma of shipping and being handled from hatching are even friendlier then the parents. A year ago, I had never heard of Green Fire Farm or the Cream Legbar chickens, now looking forward to 2013 and wonder what else I will be able to do with these amazing chickens.

I am pretty thrilled. Of my 4 original Cream Legbars that I got last February from Jordan Farms, only 1 female has the correct cream colored hackles. I thought it was pretty hopeless to try for the "correct" coloring. I hatched some offspring in October, sold 4 and kept 5. Both of the girls have the cream hackles and of the boys only one has the darker chestnut coloring of my roo. And one of the boys has a nice straight comb. I love the personalities of all of them but the young, having been saved the trauma of shipping and being handled from hatching are even friendlier then the parents. A year ago, I had never heard of Green Fire Farm or the Cream Legbar chickens, now looking forward to 2013 and wonder what else I will be able to do with these amazing chickens.

Congratulations on your babies! The genetics are there.

Back
Top Bottom