The Legbar Thread!

Ok here are some better pics of them all. Of the five boys which would you all keep? I am really liking the light little guy, but not sure if that is what I should be looking for if I am trying to better my breeding.

Group shot of all the boys

Boy #1

Boy #2

Boy #3

Boy #4

Boy #5

And just for fun, the little girl (Astrid)

You can't really evaluate chicks for breeding prospects properly until they are much older - ideally until you can see how they are going to shape up in terms of size and color.

Today both November pullets left me a gift, and in the laying box too (as opposed to the cochins they live with who lay on the floor)

Yoie, it is really hard to evaluate chicks until they are close to a year old. You need to see how they have filled out, their color, and temperment. But congrats on the new chicks !!!

Congratulations on the new eggs!!!!

You can't really evaluate chicks for breeding prospects properly until they are much older - ideally until you can see how they are going to shape up in terms of size and color.

Today both November pullets left me a gift, and in the laying box too (as opposed to the cochins they live with who lay on the floor)

Hey nice eggs! Pretty good sized for pullets too.

Ok here are some better pics of them all. Of the five boys which would you all keep? I am really liking the light little guy, but not sure if that is what I should be looking for if I am trying to better my breeding.

Group shot of all the boys

Boy #1

Boy #2

Boy #3

Boy #4

Boy #5

And just for fun, the little girl (Astrid)
Isn't Astrid the cutest thing ever?? Awwwww.

Regarding your boys... you will want to pay a lot of attention to the comb and wattles as they mature. Nice yellow beak and legs. As the others have said your chosen color but even more important IMO the body type that you get, and the angle of the tail --- Overall appearance, size, temperament and vigor. You will be able to tell pretty well just around maturity time -- say at the 1/2 year mark. Good luck making that decision. :O)

Starting up the Hovabator! It had about 10 days off and now expecting LonnyandRinda's CLB eggs to arrive today!

I am finding about 4 eggs a day from my own girls. Will start a few soon to check for fertility.

I also was wondering what to do with my "spare" roo that I expect to cull once I have another male chick. I got a text message from guy that I have sold several CLB to asking if I had any adult males that I wanted to part with. All 3 of the males he got from me have been killed by predators but none of the hens. I think these boys are taking on the bad guys to save the girls. Good flock protectors. Kind of sad but I guess it's better than having their heads chopped off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom