The Legbar Thread!

Thanks for the link.

Looking at the pictured roo, I think it is important to realize that he is a cockerel and would have filled out more as an adult.

I think the thing that struck me first-off about his guy is his comb. It seems like a lot of the combs I have been seeing on roos are much larger and many, many have the front even with the front of the beak. I like this guy's comb much, much better.

http://s20.postimg.org/5vly21vnh/online_standard.gif

Nice to have this above link, am wondering where the photo came from and it's date. The most up to date standard does not show any photos of legbars.

I agree is a young cockerel. His comb is going to grow quite a bit more and so are his wattles. I say this as his sickles aren't very apparent. My guess he is around 14 to maybe 16 weeks old. Without a doubt in my mind, his comb will be large. The standard says large, but not overgrown. His comb is also nice due to the spacing of the points and the following seemingly without touching the line of the head. He does not carry enough points to meet the proposed draft in the USA of 6 points. The UK standard indicates 5-7 points, and he may have 4 points. That first bump just doesn't seem to be a clear enough point to count as a fifth but maybe. (anyone else see it this way or otherwise?). To me he is at an awkward growing stage, and looks a touch stilty, as best as I can "get" what stilty is.

I started with 4 Greenfire Farms male chicks, what I show below are different males, but all were shipped and arrived by mail as new chicks March 1 (probably 3 days old). Here are same age males, so you can see when the sickles begin to elongate. Also check out the difference in my combs and what the standard states on extending well beyond the back of the head and following the line of the neck without touching.

Below approx. 12 weeks (photo May 20)

Approx. 14 weeks. (photos June 2).

Approx. 30 weeks. October 15.

Same male, same day, comb close up below. Look at the base of the blade, it is not following the line of the head and moves away from it near the top of the head versus extending well beyond the back of the head.

Here's a different cockerel, same age, photo October 16. His comb is slightly more correct in terms of how it follows the line of the head. However, the comb shows slight twist on point and although it is hard to see spacing, he is not evenly well spaced.

Last edited:
My general thoughts.

Most of us would agree, this is a breed specific site where what we want to hear and learn about is basically the same. We might also learn a bit of each others' life and styles. No one has to possess a resume to post here. Few, if any of us have any resume on cream legbars anyhow. What’s valid is our thoughts and how they are put together. This along with some social sharing of hatched baby chicks, lost chickens, laughed hard, or the almost cried today, kind of stuff.

In terms of best discussion, we all have a place, character, and style that is part of our own experience and intelligence. How direct or indirect, polite, or otherwise with our language can be based on experiences that include cultural, religion, education and training, and (yes, I’ll say it) gender. Where you were raised on this planet, and in what community, is going to affect how and even why you say things. Think New York City, Malibu, Oxford, or Sydney and not only do different speaking styles come to mind, but also associated types of people.

Here’s the way my reality works. Let’s say there’s a smart old curmudgeonly guy that’s got something you want to know. If you’re smart and you think he’s smart, you’ll take some crustiness to learn what you need to learn. It’s the same here. We all are interpreting each other’s voices. We get to sift through what we think is valuable. What I’d beg everyone to do is recognize you can skip what you think is not of value in a person’s voice. The content could still have value to you or someone else.

It’s my choice and your choice whether we independently think any person’s voice is valuable. Value to me is not always depth of expertise. I am thrilled that contributors to this site talk to others in USA, UK, Central America, etc. The greatest value we have and can give to each other is allowing ourselves to share ideas and potential knowledge (new, better, different, confirming the same) with each other. That we’ve talked with so and so, is the longest tradition to humans, oral communication. That we found this article or this site, or only know this much also has importance. I may never get a chance to talk to some of the wonderful people here or elsewhere, or find a site, or know about an article on my own, so give me a chance to learn from everyone’s experience. Maybe a voice sounds too smart, too smug, too rude, or too inexperienced to you, but we all get to think about it. I’m pretty sure we can figure out the value for ourselves.

It’s great to know where things come from. Published literature source, word of mouth, self-taught or personal observation, written communication, etc., all factor. Ultimately in this forum, we get to walk away from the computer as an individual and decide, yea I believe that, or that was important, or not. If it’s something we don’t get, is misinformation, or plain out of line, we can inquire for more information, address it by adding better or different information, or skip it.

Enjoy hearing it all. Have a good day, everyone!

This is a copy of the first images (official) released by Cambridge of the Legbar.

You can see how the body shape changed from the original to the cream

legbar_images_cambs
I feel like you are Yoda or something. The links you are posting are priceless.

All this time, I had thought that the B&W images were artist conceptions (e.g. pen and ink renditions) of the CL and not photos.
http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/41/1.pdf

These are much clearer than the above link shows the birds....and THANK you for putting these links up. Had never seen the other one either....

For the longest time -- I wanted to know what the originals were like -- and they were there all along (sort of). Thanks x a million!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom