The Legbar Thread!

my first blue egg woop woop

Beautiful birds madamwlf! I am loving your rooster's coloring. Keep him with the lowest tail angled, long backed, straightest combed girls you breed and you will have show winners in no time flat. I would take the one hen with the black tips in her breast and sides out of the breeding pen.

I started with all gold looking birds. I just breed them all till i got some cream. I never noticed it before and I really don't think it was till this years molt that the black tips started to show up on a few of my hens. these were the hens that gave me the black breasted pullets that eventually turn back to salmon when they get their first adult feathers in. its weird. I'm not using them anymore for breeding either.

I started with all gold looking birds. I just breed them all till i got some cream. I never noticed it before and I really don't think it was till this years molt that the black tips started to show up on a few of my hens. these were the hens that gave me the black breasted pullets that eventually turn back to salmon when they get their first adult feathers in. its weird. I'm not using them anymore for breeding either.

I noticed the black lacing on a lot of the pullets, and in selction was working away from birds that have them. It sounds like this may be a melonizer that comes in varying dosages. I was thinking the black brested hen may have the recessive [eb] E-locus but it may just have been aheavy dose of a modifying melonizer.

"GaryDean said, I noticed the black lacing on a lot of the pullets, and in selction was working away from birds that have them. It sounds like this may be a melonizer that comes in varying dosages. I was thinking the black brested hen may have the recessive [eb] E-locus but it may just have been aheavy dose of a modifying melonizer."

Ok, but what does that mean? Is there a quality that may be present in a rooster, visually, that might help eliminate it? I have 2 layers, one is hopefully wrapping up her molt and like Graciesmum, the younger laying pullet gave her 2nd egg yesterday! WOO HOO X2 Graciesmum!!!
highfive.gif
lol
The molting hen has produced 17 little girls and 2 boys, but most of her girls have the dark tips, too. They are also showing signs of cream.. some have cream spots on their body and tails. :( They're only 5 - 8 wks old, so I don't know if they're a bad thing or not yet. I'm not going to hatch any more of her eggs until I see what these others do.
The younger layer (totally unrelated) has a beautiful clean salmon breast, a few dots of cream on her neck, and is no doubt the more correct of the 2. She's not perfect, but has really good potential to start with. I'm waiting a week or 2 before I start incubating her eggs. My patience is forced 'cause my incubator is loaded. lol (not CL's)

genetically thats how a gold bird without any red enhacer and diluted by Cream and further diluted by double barring should look like........
While this may be the "correct" coloring, I do not love it, nor think these birds are the "stunning" ones described by Punnett. There must be some intermediate between these silver looking birds and the bright chestnut ones that are not correct.

Quote:
well you can always breed for rich colored birds anyways, its not hard at all, having near silver looking birds while on the gold sex linked allele, now thats hard to do.. keeping red enhanced colored birds to produce rich colored birds is not so hard, keeping true Type is harder I believe, GFF have the rich color you look for but maybe not as good type birds

When I look at the black & white (darn it) picture of Punnet's CCL rooster, it looks like there is some color on the wing. Not a lot, but definitely a more solid shade of something, and I doubt it's the grayish/taupe/brownish, but would be led to think it is the chestnut that Punnet describes in his description of his bird. (
(OOOOHHHH NNNOOOOOOOOO help me, ChicKat!!!!) lmao .

I think we should have different hobby names for the shades. I am not a fan of the silver looking birds, they remind me of a defective barred leghorn or something. I much prefer the colored birds. Maybe light cream legbars for the silver looking birds and dark cream for the gold looking birds?

Back
Top Bottom