The Legbar Thread!

I cropped it so I could see better. This chick doesn't appear to have any head spot, and the stripes are also pretty defined. I would not say it is a male, but it doesn't look like a female should either.

well if it was a 50/50 or less I say 40/60(people thinking it was odd or others thought it was ok) then you know some monitors can reproduce different type of shades, then it would be your call, BUT if you post say 5 male chicks and if 90% of people say that 4 are males and 1 looks "Odd" then the odd one should not be allowed to breed...

I agree very much. I would not breed from a chick that was difficult to tell the sex at hatch since that may take away from the auto sexing in your line. My specific blonde chick was a very obvious boy at hatch and had a definite white head spot. I have 6 male chicks at the moment and many more hatching soon. I do plan to choose 2 new cockerals to use as breeders with traits that compliment my hens. I do hope my blonde boy has great coloring, but only time will tell which 2 I choose. My blonde boy is not out as a breeder option though that's for sure.

I cropped it so I could see better. This chick doesn't appear to have any head spot, and the stripes are also pretty defined. I would not say it is a male, but it doesn't look like a female should either.

I am unsure of this one too, no head spot like the other two males, but much lighter and less defined than the females. I think I will mark this one and see how it grows up but there should be no need to breed from it as I have plenty of other options now. Thanks everyone :)

Quote:
I agree. It's the reason I have the cream colored birds I do have and am happy with my current flock situation. I chose in the beginning to ignore the voices of the masses and do as I thought was best for me.

I'm not one to take anyone's advice as more than what it is - an opinion, informed or not. Just because someone terms themselves an expert or whatever on the internet does not mean I have to take their word as gospel and to be honest I am very glad I did not follow the advice of others. I do what I feel is best for the situation I am in and don't think anyone here is the final word on what is best for my breeding plan or anyone else's. This was not meant to be argumentative.

This was not meant to be argumentative.
well I will not bite anyways, I know better now, I lost my "Educator" Batch trying to debate genetics with poeple that dont believe in science, that got me demoted, I only got my batch again because I am Top 0.1% (thats 1 tenth of a percent) for most helpful posts, and I am NOT about to lose it again, you do what you want with your birds, let the Scientific terms to me

Last edited:
Looking at that "odd" chick above I am wondering- how are the ig/ig chicks hatching out? Do they hatch out the same color as a gold? That chick looks sorta female to me with just really light down and not much definition.

Maybe Curtis can tell us what his ig/ig girls look like at hatch?

I believe my current roo is at least part Cream and he hatched out with much lighter coloring than I was use to from my original line.

Just wondering...

Back
Top Bottom