The Legbar Thread!

Is there no way to keep both? It's hard to make a choice so early unless you've had others grow out who looked like them as chicks???
I have only one female and they are all three weeks for the roos and the female is a little younger. Maybe almost four weeks. I was thinking about breeding them...:) Still can't upload from my iPhone..
Shar

I, too, have had a blond male chick hatch. I am very interested in seeing how this boy grows out. So far he appears that he may be one of my lightest males. Still too early to tell.

Happy Easter, Merry Spring to my Legbar friends! My first hens started to lay about 6weeks ago.

frow.gif
Hi everyone! I have a little flock in a small rural town in Indiana-- currently Swedish Flower Hens and Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens. Can't have roosters but we are gonna get some more chicks this year and I am very interested in this breed- the medium size, pretty blue eggs, and the auto-sexing. I'm not crazy about crests (my SFH do not have them, thankfully) but I like the small, swept back crests on these hens for some reason.

There's a member who has some breeders near us so I am going to get a couple later this spring (along with more SFH chicks). Looking forward to these "gals" :)

PS Noticed a lot of people have SFH and CCLB...curious
cool.png

frow.gif
Hi everyone! I have a little flock in a small rural town in Indiana-- currently Swedish Flower Hens and Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens. Can't have roosters but we are gonna get some more chicks this year and I am very interested in this breed- the medium size, pretty blue eggs, and the auto-sexing. I'm not crazy about crests (my SFH do not have them, thankfully) but I like the small, swept back crests on these hens for some reason.

There's a member who has some breeders near us so I am going to get a couple later this spring (along with more SFH chicks). Looking forward to these "gals" :)

cool.png
That may be because GFF including SFH in CLB shipments as gifts. That's how I got my entire flock of SFH.

cool.png

Well, I have Cream Legbars in Texas, and my brother in Maryland has Swedish Flower Hens.

I wanted a laying breed with unique eggs that I could have a tight control over the pairings to produce a true breeding uniform flock. My brother (TurnipTruck) wanted a dual purpose breed that would provide raw meat for his hunting dog's diet and eggs for the family. He liked the wide variety of colors found in the SFH flocks and the fact that he gets the utilities that he wanted without having to stress over a color standard to produce a good representation of the breed. I have twelve pens set up with 2-3 breeding lines each for the breeds I am working with. My brother has a single free range flock. These breeds fill two very different purposes. I guess those that are looking for breeds to fill different purposes would be able to keep both of these breeds with out feeling that one of them is redundant. :)

Last edited:
frow.gif

cool.png
I agree with you on the crests. I'm not a big fan of the polish 'I can't see where I'm going' crest. But I love the look on my CCls. You should check out the Indiana BYCer thread. Several of us on there have CCLs. (and SFH)

I agree with you on the crests. I'm not a big fan of the polish 'I can't see where I'm going' crest. But I love the look on my CCls. You should check out the Indiana BYCer thread. Several of us on there have CCLs. (and SFH)
I have checked it out! I remember you from last year-- we joined the same month :) I've been back posting and reading over there for the past several days. But now I've got to go back to painting my hallway and living room
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom