The Legbar Thread!

Quote: Thanks for asking about my hens. Two of the three are laying again. It has been abnormally hot here this year. I also noticed a lot of my hens just started molting, so maybe that is an issue. I remember when I got these hens a year ago that they were starting to molt and had stopped laying. My neighbor just lost her flock to a predator. Once she gets a new coop built I think I'll give her my legbars. She loves the crests and also wants blue egg layers. Win-win for everyone.

Just an observation... my runty cockerel had effectively no tail feathers, but is now growing tiny & well barred sickle shaped feathers
lol.png
these are at quite a high angle making it look kinda on its way to becoming a squirrel tail
roll.png
where as my other cockerel has straight, long (but poorly barred) tail feathers.... both are 6 weeks old tomorrow!

Just an observation... my runty cockerel had effectively no tail feathers, but is now growing tiny & well barred sickle shaped feathers
lol.png
these are at quite a high angle making it look kinda on its way to becoming a squirrel tail
roll.png
where as my other cockerel has straight, long (but poorly barred) tail feathers.... both are 6 weeks old tomorrow!
pop.gif

Can't wait for you to show us pictures!!

Okay well I tried to take some photos of his rear end, but it was pretty challenging! It's much easier to see the new curlier feathers from the back but here is a pic anyway!

Here is "scraggles" having a drink this morning

Oh and another thing, the runty cockerel has a tiny crest compared to his 3 siblings, but i guess he is the slowest developer
lol.png
Another odd thing i noticed, on the females, the crest is larger on one side of the comb (only the section furthest forward - that is actually next to the comb) than the other, is this normal?

Just a quick picture of my oldest rose combed cockerel. Not sure if I'll keep him because his tail is high and he has a huge comb. I have one more RC cockerel that I hope turns out good. Otherwise, the rose combed ladies are looking decent so they may just go with a cream rooster in the spring
I love the coloring of your cockerel!

I moved my oldest young birds to the big legbar pen since the phoenix have started laying. I figure they'll enjoy the space. While I was down there this morning, I finally got some pictures of the pullets and a better picture of the cockerel. The single comb pullet is from my original GFF hen that died this spring, she is shaping up nicely. The rose combed pullet is from my RC rooster over a single combed hen so she is (I believe) either 7/8 or 15/16 legbar with the rest being leghorn. I think this coming spring, I'll match up my rose combed birds with unrelated cream mates to finally attempt a rose combed legbar with the light cream color.

Real nice pictures FMP -- thanks for posting them.  --looks dry there too.

Thank you.
As for the dryness- we have a few huge massive wildfires that are causing whole towns to be evacuated. Thousands and thousands of acres have burned in the last few days alone. People are basically being told to fend for themselves when it comes to fire right now.

Thank you.
As for the dryness- we have a few huge massive wildfires that are causing whole towns to be evacuated. Thousands and thousands of acres have burned in the last few days alone. People are basically being told to fend for themselves when it comes to fire right now.
hit.gif

That''s awful. Hope it will soon come to an end...and we all have a 'rainy season'.

Back
Top Bottom