The Legbar Thread!

Hi Rob, 
Your story cracks me up -- because when I have told people that my CL (one of them) is like a kaleidoscope (as in always changing colors) -- they didn't 'get' it.  Your photos are super examples.  18-months is when most chickens have their first molt.. So that is part of the story.  It would be my surmise that the sun also has had a lot to do with his color changes....

Thanks for posting the great photos. ETA nice long back and tail angle in the second picture..nice comb and crest and nice yellow legs and beak.  Immature CLs don't get the white tail feathers, and the mature ones loose them fairly regularly from my experience. 

Thanks! He's not quite as pretty as he used to be but his genetics are still the same. I've raised up a few of his sons to replace him but I always end up giving them away. You never know how those cockerels will turn out and right now everyone gets along and the eggs keep hatching so I'd hate to mess with anything.

Thank you, ChickKat.  I wasn't sure I was conveying well and you understood what sort of answers I was looking for. You know, it is so easy to judge a bird you have no connection to. It can be simple,  cut and dry. But when you own it, you have all these things cluttering up your thoughts. Yes, he has a muff and beard and a b-I-g peacomb. The whole point of the project is a peacomb and small wattles, and of course, retain a large, blue colored egg on a auto sex bird. As to the wild temperament, I know better. I got wrapped around the autosex thing, not having a replacement. But a nice Legbar will work just fine, provided they have better temperaments. Is nervousness and flightiness often a trait of the Legbar breed?

Just curious, where did you get him? Sometimes I get people's real names mixed up with BYC names but I think he is from my autosexing EE project. Your profile pic is the same as the person I shipped eggs to.

This is Cosmo, my first legbar! She is so gorgeous, and is 1 of 5 pure-breed babies I purchased in July. This was her shortly after we got her at 9 weeks, she's almost doubled in size now!

She is very hard to catch as she is very fast, but we have found if you just sit in the run with them, she climbs onto you quite happily with the others!

This is Cosmo, my first legbar! She is so gorgeous, and is 1 of 5 pure-breed babies I purchased in July. This was her shortly after we got her at 9 weeks, she's almost doubled in size now!

She is very hard to catch as she is very fast, but we have found if you just sit in the run with them, she climbs onto you quite happily with the others!

Looks like one big happy family - and looks like you love your chooks

ChicKat, I do love my chooks! They are a big part of my extensive furry, feathery and slimy family! I get great enjoyment watching and interacting with them!

Gootziecat, thankyou! She stuck out among the other pullets up for sale, and I got to see both her parents who are equally as gorgeous ;)

Otakalhasas, thanks! It took me and my husband about 6 months to fully build the shed and run. I just wanted something that was accessible without bending as I get a bad back a lot!! The shed is 8ftx8ftx6ft and the run is 2.5 metres wide and 16 metres long to allow ranging without risk of predation!

Here's an update on my "chicks"

Let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom