The Legbar Thread!

I think you're right with the heat! They finally did lay yesterday (82 degrees) and not today (91!). I did peruse around in the bushes though, too, for good measure. They are penned full time, in a 600 sq ft run
1f60a.png

I've had my birds cut way back on laying before and seen a quick turn around after being wormed. If you haven't wormed them in a while it's not a bad idea (especially since they aren't laying well anyway so if you have to discard the eggs depending on what you use for worming at least it won't be many eggs).

I've had my birds cut way back on laying before and seen a quick turn around after being wormed. If you haven't wormed them in a while it's not a bad idea (especially since they aren't laying well anyway so if you have to discard the eggs depending on what you use for worming at least it won't be many eggs).
Which wormer do you prefer? We have a mixed flock of about 20 chickens, ages 4 weeks to 9 months.

Hi all
I have a cream legbar pullet
I hatched this year,
She is the best out of the bunch and I was
Wondering would she be ok for showing?

Last edited:
This Lady was Best of Breed at the Pittsburg County Fair today in McAlester, Oklahoma. There were two cockerels and three pullets entered. Our birds were not as well conditioned as we would like but this gave us a practices show for the Shawnee, Oklahoma show in December. That Shawnee show will be a Regional Cream Legbar meet and could be the largest exhibition of Cream Legbars in the USA to date.

This was the top placed Cream Legbar cockerel.

Last edited:
Which wormer do you prefer? We have a mixed flock of about 20 chickens, ages 4 weeks to 9 months.

Sorry that I missed this! I used to use just ivermectin pour-on (3 drops per bird) all by itself. It's cheap if you get the generic and is good for almost all internal and external parasites. Unfortunately it isn't good against capillary worms and apparently my birds all have capillary worms. I only found out by having some birds die and sending one off for necropsy. The best thing for capillary worms is safeguard. They sell medicated pellets but they are pricy. I get the concentrate for goats which is $21 for 125 cc (that price is at my local co-op...$28 at Tractor Supply). It's supposed to be 1cc/10 lb of body weight. I have about 60 birds in my flock and I sure don't want to squirt a little less than 1cc down the throat of each bird. Instead I put a few handfuls of scratch in a bucket and add half a bottle and a little bit of water and stir the whole thing up by hand and then throw handfuls in each run making sure to scatter I'd around so the less dominant birds get some. I also check the egg boxes to make sure that there aren't any hens laying and missing out. I also need to make sure that the roosters are eating and not tid-bitting. Most people just use Wizine in the water which is cheap, effective and easy to dose. Most people just worm every 6 months but apparently I need to use the Safeguard more often since my birds are confined and have been confirmed to have capillary worms. I might need to dose every month. I use the Ivermectin just twice a year and dose them when the NPIP folks come out since I have to catch each bird individually anyway (once a year they get tested for three things...one of which is avian influenza and then after 6 months they get tested for avian influenza again).

Sorry that I missed this! I used to use just ivermectin pour-on (3 drops per bird) all by itself. It's cheap if you get the generic and is good for almost all internal and external parasites. Unfortunately it isn't good against capillary worms and apparently my birds all have capillary worms. I only found out by having some birds die and sending one off for necropsy. The best thing for capillary worms is safeguard. They sell medicated pellets but they are pricy. I get the concentrate for goats which is $21 for 125 cc (that price is at my local co-op...$28 at Tractor Supply). It's supposed to be 1cc/10 lb of body weight. I have about 60 birds in my flock and I sure don't want to squirt a little less than 1cc down the throat of each bird. Instead I put a few handfuls of scratch in a bucket and add half a bottle and a little bit of water and stir the whole thing up by hand and then throw handfuls in each run making sure to scatter I'd around so the less dominant birds get some. I also check the egg boxes to make sure that there aren't any hens laying and missing out. I also need to make sure that the roosters are eating and not tid-bitting. Most people just use Wizine in the water which is cheap, effective and easy to dose. Most people just worm every 6 months but apparently I need to use the Safeguard more often since my birds are confined and have been confirmed to have capillary worms. I might need to dose every month. I use the Ivermectin just twice a year and dose them when the NPIP folks come out since I have to catch each bird individually anyway (once a year they get tested for three things...one of which is avian influenza and then after 6 months they get tested for avian influenza again).

I've been using diatomaceous earth (food grade) in their food every four months or so. I'm kind of new to chickens (under two years) so I'd love to know what others think of "natural" solutions!

Interesting, had not heard about cayenne pepper. I know that parrots love anything hot and spicy so I'll give it a shot for my girls. Even if it isn't 100%, if they enjoy it, what's the harm!!!

Back
Top Bottom