The Legbar Thread!

My first hens didn't start until 7 months old but they were maturing over the winter. The new bunch, I have one that started at 5 months old. The other 2 haven't started laying yet.

I know she is isn't she? theres just something about her iv'e never seen in a hen before..., shes done well with the orp bringing up the chicks as you can see behind her, but the chicks are older enough for her to leave and the orp is still with them anyways, so the rest of the summer is hers. It's good to have my best layer back :)
She looks really good there!

My first hens didn't start until 7 months old but they were maturing over the winter. The new bunch, I have one that started at 5 months old. The other 2 haven't started laying yet.
That's what I have heard too.....depending upon their hatch date, they can take up to a year. But most folks here seem to have layers begin atr around 20-22 weeks.

Okay. Awesome.

Mine hatched May 16(I've memorized it because I keep calculating their age. LOL!). I'm sure they think I'm planning on eating them, because I sit outside their pen with treats anxiously awaiting "the special day".

Can crested roosters have straight combs?

My Cream rooster has quite the crest, but also has a serious floppy comb. While my white roo has much less of a crest and a fairly straight comb. I've noticed that many roosters that have a straight comb aren't crested or crested very little. Just wondering if the observation has any footing.

Can crested roosters have straight combs?

My Cream rooster has quite the crest, but also has a serious floppy comb. While my white roo has much less of a crest and a fairly straight comb. I've noticed that many roosters that have a straight comb aren't crested or crested very little. Just wondering if the observation has any footing.
That is such an interesting observation. What would it take to find out?

Mine has a straight comb and a smallish crest. So that would align with your theory.

Back
Top Bottom