The Legbar Thread!

Hi Johnn,

It wouldn't hurt to try to explain to the pet store that since Melow lays a white egg, you have suspicions that she isn't a "pure bred" - and would they please give you another Cream Legbar. You might just get another chicken.

Meanwhile, you have been thinking that she is a CL, she's your pet, she's a good egg-layer, and she has all the traits that you are looking for. Is there a chance that her egg is very very very light blue, and not actually white? Do you have a white layer to compare it with, or put on a sheet of white paper. It wouldn't hurt to speak of your concern with the pet shop owners.

Other than if you are planning to breed or show her, does it really matter?? She has the traits that you like...including boodiness....and she is a pretty and sweet chicken...so if she isn't "registered" (aka purebred) is it of any consequence? Just my thoughts.

don't be upset by what people post on forums is the advice of the day.
thanks, i wouldn't swap Melow for another hen i love her too much, i do have another white egg layer but her and Melow are both out of action, will post a pic if they both start up soon :), i want to breed her but not as a cream legbar, just to hatch chicks out for my own joy...

thanks, i wouldn't swap Melow for another hen i love her too much, i do have another white egg layer but her and Melow are both out of action, will post a pic if they both start up soon :), i want to breed her but not as a cream legbar, just to hatch chicks out for my own joy...
Nope, you shouldn't swap Melow, and I don't think that anyone would/should take a chicken back unless they would put it in a quarantine. She luckily has a happy home with you. What I though may happen is that the shop owner would give you a chicken to make amends.

Since Melow went broody, she is a good candidate to hatch chickens. my cream legbar is broody right now too---I'm going to put some eggs under her, and at the same time put some in the incubator. Then if the incubator ones hatch (should be the same time as the ones she would be sitting on, I will try to get her to do the work of raising them.

Nope, you shouldn't swap Melow, and I don't think that anyone would/should take a chicken back unless they would put it in a quarantine. She luckily has a happy home with you. What I though may happen is that the shop owner would give you a chicken to make amends.

Since Melow went broody, she is a good candidate to hatch chickens. my cream legbar is broody right now too---I'm going to put some eggs under her, and at the same time put some in the incubator. Then if the incubator ones hatch (should be the same time as the ones she would be sitting on, I will try to get her to do the work of raising them.
Melow wasn't a very good broody, she was quite a good mother though :), she didn't hatch her chick another hen did and i just give it to her :)

I too have hatched more tha my fair share of roos. Good to hear at least someone is hatching pullets...

well shoot -- i've got one CL pullet (2 weeks old) from a local breeder, and had hoped to get a second from Richard at Jordan Farms -- but he's not hatched any females for two weeks, and my window of opportunity for having all the chicks more or less the same age is rapidly closing. so i might have to just stick with the one (for now). lots of blue-egg responsibility on her little shoulders!

or, if anyone has spare CL pullets lying around, please let me know!
laura

Last edited:
My situation is, I had hatched some barnyard mix chicks. I advertised them on CL as straight run for $2 each. I had a lady looking at them that kept commenting on how much she was afraid of getting boys. There were a couple of chicks in there that were BSL (I had a couple of barred girls being covered by a Welsummer roo). When she started to pick the chicks she wanted, I had to steer her away from those two. I couldn't let her buy them even though she thought the little white spot on their head was so cute. I believe those have since gone into the freezer with all of their brothers.

Deb
Stock up the freezer
I have good luck getting rid of roosters. I can post some for you on Craigslist if you Like
tongue2.gif

Just kidding

Deb,

Ya...I do remember that I got two of my cockerels from a batch of 18 eggs that only hatched 7 cockerels and 1 pullet. The old timers I was chatting with a while back said that some hens are prone to produce more pullets than cockerels. I didn't believe them at the time, but the more and more heavy weighted pullet hatches I heard of the more I was inclined to believe that. I guess people just aren't reporting the heavy weighted cockerel hatches as much. :I
I thought humidity was a big deal when determining what hatches out . Could you be getting your humidity right, where as others may be keeping there eggs at roo humidity levels. Am i wrong about humidity or does it really determine the roo to pullet ratio.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom