The little chicky that could not

clayb226

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Missouri
Well, I had a pure bred Jersey Giant eggs in the bator, one pipped last night, and hatched this morning. All seemed well, but when I got home, I seen that its guts were hanging out its vent or something, and it bled all over the rest of the eggs. I am unsure what to do now as there is blood all over the eggs and bator. They were set to hatch tonight. Is it too late to do anything, is it possible that the others will die from the introduction of bacteria, or is there still hope??

Blood on the eggs shouldn't be a problem. That one probably hatched early and pulled out its umbilicus which would be attached to major blood vessels and intestines. Leave the others and see what happens.

Had another one pipped this morning, but it was at the wrong end. I talked to my wife, and she said she thinks it died in the egg. She said it turned inside the egg, where its head is no longer at the hole in the shell, and it does not appear to be breathing. I guess this is going to be a rough hatch, for sure.

It sounds like something is wrong with either your temperature or your humidity. You should always have two thermometers and a calibrated hygrometer. Do a BYC search on calibrating your hygrometer and you'll find instructions.

I have 2 thermometers, and I will check my hygrometer before the next hatch, but was accurate last time.

Back
Top Bottom