The local Pizza Restaurant is giving us their scraps of pizza and salad.

Genetics plays a huge part in things. Some win the genetic lottery, some don't.

Also, are you SURE these chickens are 11 years old? Could some have died/been replaced/were living there before you moved in so you're just taking her word for it?
No she lives just up the road and I know the people who had them before. All really nice people and I don't want to disparage them, it's just frustrating when I try so hard to do the right thing and end up with 3 hens and these 4 old Wyandottes just keep trucking along! Must have been a really good genetic combination at the time. They were feed store chicks.

I think it depends partly on flock size and purpose; a flock of only a few birds probably shouldn't be given all the castoffs from a whole restaurant, lol. Personally, I feed my flock of 50 birds as many scraps as are available for them to eat. I'm not going to throw food away when I'm paying 12 bucks a bag for layer pellets! Yes, that means that some days they end up getting as much 'unhealthy' food (stale bread) as they want. Other days it's only some veggie ends, or even nothing at all but layer feed. I love pizza too much to let any be left over, but if it came in as an extra, I most certainly would give it to them. I suspect the nutritionists among us would clutch their pearls if they saw my birds' diet, but they're healthy and hardy and look normal when I butcher them—so I'm not going to quit doing it. Sure, maybe it's not perfect, but they're chickens, for goodness' sake. If they're so delicate and dumb that they can't at least partially manage their nutritional intake by themselves, I sure don't want them in my breeding population. <<shrugs>> And yes, I absolutely have noted that many birds do have the good sense to not simply eat themselves sick on the goodies.

I haven't had chickens for long, only five years, and I sell or butcher most of the layers after 2 yrs so I'm not certain what their lifespan would be if left alone. Out of the birds I started with, one hit nine years of age and was still trucking when I gave her back to her original owner. Out of the birds I started from chicks, the oldest one that I didn't sell is a four year old Silkie. Still in perfect health.

I think it depends partly on flock size and purpose; a flock of only a few birds probably shouldn't be given all the castoffs from a whole restaurant, lol. Personally, I feed my flock of 50 birds as many scraps as are available for them to eat. I'm not going to throw food away when I'm paying 12 bucks a bag for layer pellets! Yes, that means that some days they end up getting as much 'unhealthy' food (stale bread) as they want. Other days it's only some veggie ends, or even nothing at all but layer feed. I love pizza too much to let any be left over, but if it came in as an extra, I most certainly would give it to them. I suspect the nutritionists among us would clutch their pearls if they saw my birds' diet, but they're healthy and hardy and look normal when I butcher them—so I'm not going to quit doing it. Sure, maybe it's not perfect, but they're chickens, for goodness' sake. If they're so delicate and dumb that they can't at least partially manage their nutritional intake by themselves, I sure don't want them in my breeding population. <<shrugs>> And yes, I absolutely have noted that many birds do have the good sense to not simply eat themselves sick on the goodies.

I haven't had chickens for long, only five years, and I sell or butcher most of the layers after 2 yrs so I'm not certain what their lifespan would be if left alone. Out of the birds I started with, one hit nine years of age and was still trucking when I gave her back to her original owner. Out of the birds I started from chicks, the oldest one that I didn't sell is a four year old Silkie. Still in perfect health.
50 birds! Wow! That must be awesome! I want more! :wee

50 birds! Wow! That must be awesome! I want more! :wee
It's more like 70 if you count ducks and quail. :oops: I need to build another coop.

It is fun. I like seeing the looks on people's faces when they come to visit and the chickens come out of the woods... and keep coming... and then there's more... and then the ducks and guineas show up...

It's more like 70 if you count ducks and quail. :oops: I need to build another coop.

It is fun. I like seeing the looks on people's faces when they come to visit and the chickens come out of the woods... and keep coming... and then there's more... and then the ducks and guineas show up...
:lau:lau
I'm picturing their faces as this massive heard of chickens emerges from the woods, followed by progressively larger and larger birds.

Possum chickens are tough as nails. My flock are possum chickens not quite as possumy as your freind's birds though.
Let me explain, they do get scraps within reason and anything they can catch on an acre.I don't fret over their diet, flock raiser is always out there if they want it.They have the same life my grand and great gran would have given. Gran always kept one pet layer for a broody and her last broody was....14.....at her death.It is o.k to have a bit of wiggle room.:)
I still don't get it! How can she have 11 year old chickens in such conditions???? I'll go down to give them kale or dandelions and they're just as happy and healthy as can be! Tons of eggs too! :he Lol!

:lau:lau
I'm picturing their faces as this massive heard of chickens emerges from the woods, followed by progressively larger and larger birds.
It's pretty funny, especially since the underbrush is thick; during the day, you can't even tell that I have chickens when you walk by.

Back
Top Bottom