The Middle Tennessee Thread

Unfortunately I buried her at about 4:30am in the freezing cold before work.

I was examining her box and the green poo actually bleeding through the pine shavings and is vibrant green like a dye. That makes me wonder if she got a hold of a rat pellet. I used some a few months ago on the other side of the yard to get a coon that was stalking the garden and chickens. Maybe a squirrel got one, carried it over and dropped it in their run. It's about the only explanation I can come up with as none of the other girls have any symptoms whatsoever.

Hello,
Does anyone sell red sex link (golden comet, red star, etc…I think they are all the same) hatching eggs?  We have a couple of hens trying to go broody and I promised the kids we could hatch some this Spring.  We are in the city limits of Nashville, so I'd like something we can sex and sell the roos before we get too :jumpy attached!  If you have any other auto sexing, good egg laying, sweet tempered chicken breed ideas…I'm open to those, too.
Thanks!

Be careful buying sex links, as they are not autosexing. You can only tell males from females in a first generation cross (RIR or NH x Rock). Lots of folks will breed sex links and sell them as such, but it's not the same the next generation. There are a few folks around selling Bielefelder, Cream Legbar, & Rhodebar chicks on Craigslist (autosexing breeds). You might have to sweet-talk them for eggs, as they charge a pretty penny for chicks. The Bielefelder is known for being a gentle giant. They are on my wish list.

Last edited:
Quote: Be careful about autosexing breeds too.... if they are not breed properly they will not be autosexing. SEX LINKS that is easy. I have some Sex linked Easter Egger Eggs..... I have Rhodebars too and Crested Cream Legbars. I have not set up any other sex link pens yet..... The EE and Rhodebars are the more affordable eggs.

Be careful about autosexing breeds too.... if they are not breed properly they will not be autosexing.  SEX LINKS that is easy.  I have some Sex linked Easter Egger Eggs..... I have Rhodebars too and Crested Cream Legbars.  I have not set up any other sex link pens yet..... The EE and Rhodebars are the more affordable eggs. 

How are the rhodebars for number and size of eggs? I like the look of them and the auto sexing characteristic, but haven't found anyone locally with rhodebars that are laying.

The bielefelders are nice and quiet. Well, mine are. I have two that I hatched from shipped eggs. I am still waiting for them to start laying.

Quote:
From what I have read about bielefelders I would rather have them. The Rhodebars are good layers but need lots of work. Mine are still pullets and have been laying for several months. Maybe a large egg or a little smaller. Before the cold snap I was getting 2-3 eggs daily from 3 pullets. I did hatch 75% pullets though! LOL.

I am going to separate my BBS Marans pair from the rest of the chickens so I can raise more BBS Marans. How long do I need to wait until all the other roo's sperm is gone from the hens reproductive tract and I can be sure the eggs are pure BBS Marans?

idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom