The Middle Tennessee Thread

My neighbor wants me to hatch her peacock eggs. I read 28-30 days so that is no problem. The first one I read said 60% humidity... that could be a problem. I dry hatch all my chicken eggs. Is that accurate? anything else I should know? My bator is going to be overflowing with eggs so I am going to have to make some way for them and I don't have a hatching tray. I thought I would just make something up with some paper towels to keep them upright in a basket maybe. Going to set them ASAP so if someone can clue me in I would appreciate it.

I incubate peas at the same temp and humidity as my chicks and turkeys with good success...but I don't dry incubate at all- usually 45-60% humidity until lock down and then a little higher. Always lay pea eggs on their side...I lay them in the flat tray on a soft clean towel or puppy pad, and pad (surround) each individual egg with paper towel rolled up like a little nest. My trays rock every 3 hours, and in addition, each time I have to open the incubator I will turn the eggs (roll them) about 1/3 of a turn, so they are rocking side to side and being rotated. When peas hatch, they are like turkeys and need marbles in their water to learn to drink. They are cute little buggers but not very smart! They also need high protein game bird starter. I also feed mine scrambled eggs.

I incubate peas at the same temp and humidity as my chicks and turkeys with good success...but I don't dry incubate at all- usually 45-60% humidity until lock down and then a little higher. Always lay pea eggs on their side...I lay them in the flat tray on a soft clean towel or puppy pad, and pad (surround) each individual egg with paper towel rolled up like a little nest. My trays rock every 3 hours, and in addition, each time I have to open the incubator I will turn the eggs (roll them) about 1/3 of a turn, so they are rocking side to side and being rotated. When peas hatch, they are like turkeys and need marbles in their water to learn to drink. They are cute little buggers but not very smart! They also need high protein game bird starter. I also feed mine scrambled eggs.
THANKS! Well she has a few broodies. I told her to bring the eggs under the broodies to me and slip the pea eggs under the broodies. She is going to let me know by next weekend what she wants to do. I willing to try. I can add humidity in the incubator or I can keep them in the hatcher. I don't have a turner so they may not be happy with my incubation.

Bought a nice group of Blehm Lavender Ameraucanas from @cree57i !!! Thank you very much!!
:celebrate

All worn out from the trip, lol...

And we much enjoyed our visit to your lovely home! Great setup and gorgeous birds! :)

Back
Top Bottom