The Middle Tennessee Thread

Well my most recent hatch was 24 turkeys and 1 duck, but a late comer showed up today also a perfectly healthy duck. Memphis, welcome home and you are still an enabler... got 36 duck and 36 turkey eggs in the bator now.

@RavynFallen how late do you allow for your late comers? I read somewhere that they can come as late as 33 days. When I removed the little one today I had an egg rolling back and forth across the hatching tray. And I think i've got three more duck eggs in there. When I candled Friday, I saw fully formed birds but no one had inner pipped.

New question for all... I have one chick and one turkey with a leg 180 degrees out. Both are the left leg, and it looks and functions perfectly but its facing aft rather than forward. They are both eating and drinking and moving about the icu pen pretty well. As I trace the bones, the leg comes out of the hip, goes aft, knee is in perfect condition and foot is flat on the floor. I'm thinking this is a dislocated hip (aka thigh) but am terrified of causing pain, where it doesn't seem to exist right now. All advice welcome.

I am OVER RUN with chicks! Yes, yes, and yes! A mess of silver ameraucana is a good way to put it. Also, a mess of Swedish Flower Hens and black ameraucana too! Some golden cuckoo marans, black copper marans, olive eggers, frisian gulls and isbar. This is getting ridiculous! Most of these guys are already outside, but 72 more are hatching today. Don't tell DH! :oops:

I'm seriously overrun with ducklings, and have many, many broodys bound and determined to hatch more! :lau

It's a madhouse around here! :barnie

Well my most recent hatch was 24 turkeys and 1 duck, but a late comer showed up today also a perfectly healthy duck.  Memphis, welcome home and you are still an enabler...  got 36 duck and 36 turkey eggs in the bator now.

@RavynFallen
 how late do you allow for your late comers?  I read somewhere that they can come as late as 33 days.  When I removed the little one today I had an egg rolling back and forth across the hatching tray. And I think i've got three more duck eggs in there.  When I candled Friday, I saw fully formed birds but no one had inner pipped.

New question for all...  I have one chick and one turkey with a leg 180 degrees out.  Both are the left leg, and it looks and functions perfectly but its facing aft rather than forward.  They are both eating and drinking and moving about the icu pen pretty well.  As I trace the bones, the leg comes out of the hip, goes aft, knee is in perfect condition and foot is flat on the floor.  I'm thinking this is a dislocated hip (aka thigh) but am terrified of causing pain, where it doesn't seem to exist right now.  All advice welcome.

I candle and if they're not alive I pull them... I don't usually have late hatchers, but I run my temps slightly higher... a couple days is about all I would do... if the air cells are drawn down and you can see their backs, you can see slight breathing type motion if they're still alive...

Oops, meant to add... search splay leg or spraddle leg on here, should be able to tell if that's what you're dealing with and treatment for it...

Last edited:
Hey folks....anyone with turkey poults??
I've got about 80 poults right now that range from newly hatched up to about 3 months old. Most are Calico or derivatives (Royal Palm, Pencilled Palm, Blue Palm, Red Palm and others....but they are too young to tell exact adult color right now). Also Tiger Naragansetts. $12-$15 depending on age. We are between Shelbyville and Lynchburg.

Some parts are good some are bad .Like it or not this is it . All we get . idunno.gif

I went over to BYH to learn initially... takes some getting used to, for sure... most things are better, just a few things we lost that I don't like... all in all, it's not too bad once you get used to it...

There is a definite learning curve. I have a better opinion of it today now that I found the magical (but elusive) "off" switches for email notifications. I really dislike having to opt out of nuisance mail but it seems to have worked.

Is there a magic way to make it go to the first post you haven't read? All I see is to click on the last page and then you have to scroll down to the posts....

This is really getting on my nerves. We used to could BUMP our posts in BST and I don't see how you do that now. that was a benefit to a paid subscription. I was also hoping we would get back AUCTIONS Like we had in the good old days. The home button is not anything like the Home page before. I read his post about some things gone or added and I don't see anything I have questions about. Is there a thread that will teach you how to FIND everything you lost?

Back
Top Bottom