The Middle Tennessee Thread

I think we have most of them. Fox and coyote are extraordinarily cunning. Raccoons are extremely dedicated, but lately skunks and opossums have been out hunting in broad daylight. This time of year we have migratory hawks added to our local hawks and a full collection of owls.

Where I live I have woods all around me so we have all kinds. One morning about a week ago, I went let out all of my chickens and ducks out of their coops and something caught my eye. It was a skunk just a waddling across the front field. I normally just smell them around. I haven't actually seen one before that day. It waddled over to the neighbors yard. I know we have a LOT of raccoons. We have a few opossums. We have owls which we normally don't hear until the evening. Even though we all of those, I'm most concerned with hawks. Thankfully we have a lot of crows and they help chase the hawks off but not all of the time. I've been fortunate so far and haven't had any real issues but the hawks get a little too close for comfort.

In your experience what are the worst, or most common, predators in Middle Tennessee?

We have coyotes in our field like crazy! They have never tried to enter my fence, but they have been caught very close to my backyard by my dad (who lives directly to the side of me and shares the same field.) He caught one at 6:30 in the morning just last week stalking a few deer grazing in the field. I always keep my ducks up at night, but coyotes are always my biggest fear for them. I want to get more ducks, but my husband says they would have to go to the barn lot which is directly behind my house, but I know for sure a coyote would get them there without a high fence to protect them.

We're looking at adding some geese to our flock. Does anyone know of a breeder in the area? This is our first time having geese, so we're flexible on breed. We're okay with purchasing from a hatchery, but would rather buy local, if that is an option.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom