The Middle Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Cinny

Cinny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Nashville Tennessee
    Got a copper maran pullet from Donna and I love her....she's very friendly, beautiful and I understand will lay some nice large dark brown eggs. I also have Dominique, Rhode Island Red and 2 fluffy little Silkies which make great pets but don't get them for their eggs.

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a broody hen sitting in 8 Swedish Flower Hen eggs. They should hatch next weekend. They are such pretty birds - and many of them have crests, which I love. SFHs are known for being really friendly - and their colors are varied, too. They lay a pale brown egg. I also have some cream legbars that should start laying in August - I'm keeping my rooster and 3 pullets, but once they start laying, I could hatch some chicks for you. They lay blue eggs, the females have crests, and they're auto-sexable at hatch. I have rhodebars that are the same age as the legbars - auto-sexing, prolific brown egg layers.

Those are my only unusual breeds. There are others in middle TN with Polish, silkies and other unusual breeds. You shouldn't have to go far to get just about any breed you want. [​IMG]

3. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    Yep Chad and Everyone the Shindig is still on for the 7th we will be eating at 6ish and fireworks at dusk.
    You will love the incukit I have the smaller one works great! I have my water pan and sponge right under the fan at the top. With that being a cooler in its former life you should have no problems. What are you doing about egg turning?

4. mxstacy

mxstacy New Egg

May 8, 2012
    Short Mtn / Woodbury
    HI Y'all!!
    I hope i'm doing this right!! I have been in the learning center too many times too count (it's helped so much!) I seen this thread and thought hey.. (my husband gets tired listening to me talk about my chickens so...) Here I am lol.

5. Raven1

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    Well [​IMG] We never get tired of chicken talk here!

6. pickledchicken

pickledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    I was thinking about doing things on the cheap, with the light bulbs and all. Cooler and incukit i'm only in it 120 bucks might as well do it right. I plan on hand turning at first but eventually want to ad some auto turners. I can't remember if you said you had black coppers when my cuckoos start laying I'd like to get some black copper, I want to try my hand at making some birchen

7. Raven1

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    I do have Black Coppers, and Blue Coppers, and solid Blue, solid Black, Splash, Golden Cuckoo, Some Whites growing out, some Birchens growing out.
    Wow can I do chicken math or what [​IMG]

8. pickledchicken

pickledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    In your opinion what type would you consider to lay the darkest of eggs

9. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Raven I did not get the call from Sandhill saying they shipped so I guess it's going to be July! Ujjif and when we ever get this order ,boy are they going to get an ear full from me!lol they even had the gall to send a full page letter talking about how if you canceled an order after a ship date had been assigned that they would charge you for it and not give a refund! And then they can't even hold up their end! Poor business people for sure. I bet they get few return customers.
    Had another fox attack yesterday. Only got one hen and two chicks! Last time they got over 25!
    Hope some of you can make it to the Dickson rabbit show sat. Everyone who has chickens should have rabbits,just because! Lol

10. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    105 are you kidding me! I knew it was hot but [​IMG] No wonder my BR were having a hard time. Tomorrow we will put up more shade for them on the Exchequer and WL Pen.

106 tomorrow.... if they missed today by 5 degrees it is going to be over the top HOT tomorrow! Second highest temps ever recorded in Nashville [​IMG] I think I moved to AZ without knowing it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by