The Middle Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 15, 2011.

1. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    yeap! some breeds more than others.

2. wife89

wife89 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Mine haven't laid an egg in a week. I only have 2 layers... the other one died... just waiting for the chicks to start laying soon... hopefully we will start to cool off soon

3. pickledchicken

pickledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    Would anyone be interested in some Cuckoo Marans (clean shank) I could do a couple trio's and I have a couple of Barnevelder cockerels that need homes....?

4. pickledchicken

pickledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    OK Donna I changed it back [​IMG]

5. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    [​IMG]

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I only got 8 eggs today. Usually I get at least a dozen - and more often 14 -16. Maybe tomorrow they'll all lay eggs.

7. TinTennessee

TinTennessee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Springfield , TN.
    My Coop
    Mine aren't laying at all..... but then again their only 12 weeks old.:D

8. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Hey all, haven't been around in ages but popping by to say hello.

Hoping everyone made it through the heat OK. I've been freezing gallon pails of water and giving them the ice blocks on the hottest days. DH installed a fan in one coop window so they can have a nice breeze even when the air is still.

Even with that, I still lost one hen but not sure if it was the heat or egg laying issues. She was in the nest box with wings out but was always an erratic layer so really it could have been either. It made me horribly sad because she more than made up for the lack of eggs with a whole lot of personality.

I notice that nobody has answered this so I'll be happy to:

Some will say it's a bad idea but I mixed with a 3-week age span and had no issues. I think it's even more important with that scenario that you have plenty of room and access to food/water so nobody gets bullied away. I used two feeders and water nipples (one with a block under it) and put in a little wooden table made from scraps (it was originally meant to be a feeder platform) that the littles could hide under if needed. I found that the younger ones slept more directly under the light in a chick raft while the older ones slept at the fringe or even away from the light.

What I would NOT do is to get a batch of chicks and then 3 weeks later, toss in some day-olds. That's asking for trouble. But if you put all of them into their new environment at the same time, there won't be any established territory or order so they will be on more equal ground.

10. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    Chad that incubator is looking great and so are the coops. I always have eggs too so if you want any that I have just let me know.
    Hi to the new peeps and hi again to the re-peeps LOL!
    Thank you lord for the rain and brak in the heat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by