The Middle Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 15, 2011.

1. nashvegas

nashvegas New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    Quote: Do you think it's okay to put one-week-olds (which we will have had within a few days) with new one-day-olds? Is that still too big of a difference? Thanks for all the help.

2. pickledchicken

pickledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    Thank You Becky I just got my tracking number on the incukit so it should be anytime now. I might be interested in some more Marans ! Did anyone make it out ? The wife and I really wanted to but it was so darn hot ...Chad

3. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    It was very hot but we got lucky and it rained for about 30 min. right before we started to cook and really cooled things down for a while. We had a good time and ate like piggies, and a few of us turned into fishies too LOL!
    Just let me know when you get ready for some eggs I wil have them.

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Nashvegas, I would not put one day olds in with one week olds, since the tiny ones are just too fragile and wobbly. Your temp requirements are slightly different too. I do not think the week-olds would intentionally harm the younger ones, though. A lot depends on your brooder set up and space. It's pretty easy to make a brooder from stuff most animal people already have around. I could probably set up 5-6 right now just from stuff I have in the garage. Hmmmmmm. . . . . chick hatching . . .

Anyhow, I am sure there are others here with different experiences and opinions. That's just my own preference from the five years of chick hatching I have done.

The biggest issue I have faced with my birds surrounds the "coop drama" from housing different breeds together. I have raised many different breeds of large fowl and bantams, and now that I have thinned down the flocks to one breed per pen (plus silkies), things are so much more calm and enjoyable - - no feather picking, no pecking and chasing, no fights, no feeder bullying, minimal nest box drama. Just something to think about as you are exploring different breeds.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  5. Jenski

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    My bantam Ameraucanas have slowed down, silkies have pretty much stopped, d'Uccles are cranking out eggs like the Devil himself is after them with hot wing sauce. :)

Now that the rain has come, we are on the lookout for cocci and worms. Another two days should do the trick there. ;)

6. Jenski

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    And . . . just to finish my BYC business since I get on here so rarely these days:

For those folks who are interested in chicken rescue (or dog, donkey, duck, turtle, rabbit and who knows what else), it looks like there will be plenty of opportunity to step in and help from that White County animal rescue operation this week.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...12/More-than-60-animals-rescued-White-County?

If you don't want to see all the nasty pics, definitely do not flip through the top section (I did not). Just get the facts and decide if you can help rescue critters. :) They will be at the fairgrounds, presumably with the huge group of dogs just rescued from Wilson County.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  7. nashvegas

nashvegas New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    Thanks for the advice, Jenski. I'll plan on keeping them separate then, until they're a little older. Appreciate it.

8. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I think you will be ok really. You will just need to keep an eye on them. Even when they are the same age you may have problems. I have put chicks less than a week apart in the same brooder and never had an issue. I will even put older ones in with the younger ones, when there are picking issues in the other pens and not had any issues.

It is just something you will have to watch. Give the babies a few days and then you can put them all together.... if you can but them all in a new environment at the same time they will be on even turf. The little ones will huddle under the older ones to keep warm. You really will be fine.... you just have to watch chickens of all ages, you never know when something is going to happen and get out of control quick.

The first thing I do every morning is look in all the brooders to make sure everyone is still in one piece. The older birds I just look and make sure there are no new snakes [​IMG]

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    That was pretty much what I saw as well, Donna. The little ones would try to treat the older chicks as their mama at times. And while I freely admit that these are my first chickens and hardly a comprehensive study of chicken behavior, I bought them from a fellow who routinely mixes ages like that and the old timer assured me that "up to 3 weeks is just fine". And yes, watching your chicks is always a good idea. I recommend getting a big, cool drink and a comfy chair because they're great entertainment.

10. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Hey guys, sorry I havent been on. Just havent felt like it..LOL. Anyone have anything for sale? Would like Amerecaunas, wyandottes, or o.e bantams.
    And the also want bantam AM and wyandottes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by