The Middle Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 15, 2011.

1. TinTennessee

TinTennessee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Springfield , TN.
    My Coop
    I got out this morning and bought a 5 gal. buket & a nice sized galvinized pan to make a cheap but big waterer. Finished it up put it in the run. Refilled all the water bowls & food pans. I also soaked down some of their dust holes . They really seem to like the moist cool earth . Their panting a little but other than that they seem good. I just finished mowing the 1 acre yard. Now headed inside for some AC & a cold one.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I went to co op today to get some dog dip... I left without the dog dip and a really nice looking pair of blue OEG banties. The pair was only 10 bucks. I put them in with my silkies which are about the same age and all seem to be enjoying each other.
    I did notice they had a HUGE assortment of spring traps there. I bougt one off amazon for 14 bucks with shipping, and saw the exact same trap there for 6 dollars.
    Since I've set that trap I haven't had a single sign of my fox.

3. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    That sounds about right... on all accounts [​IMG]

4. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Those who use the 3 and 5 gal buckets, keep in mind the handles will break under the weight of the water. I have had it happen MANY times. I try to check them 2 x's a day and some even have more than one water source.

5. matlock585

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    hey Donna...
    what all do you have available for hatching eggs?

6. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Everything [​IMG] nobody is buying eggs in this heat.... I am not pushing them either. I have some older Marans, but they are not the darkest, I set those yesterday [​IMG] Blue and Reg Barred rocks, Super Blue Egg Layers, EE, NH, Black Ameraucana, I think that is about it.

7. matlock585

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I'm tempted on the SBEL's, but what would you want for 2 doz mixed of your choice?

8. TinTennessee

TinTennessee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Springfield , TN.
    My Coop
    Donna mine is a very simple setup. Drill a 1/2 in. hole about 2 inches from the top. Fill bucket to the hole. Put the lid on tight. Turn bucket top down in a larger pan. It simply gravity feeds into the larger pan as they drink it. I raised mine up off the ground so they don't kick as much trash or dirt into it. I had a smaller 2 gal. I used for a while but wanted more water available for them. ;-)

9. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I am cutting WAY back on hatching. I only set the Marans because I have so many people that want pullets and I have not hatched any in a long time. I set my W/BW Ams and few Lav and Splits (they are not laying great) How about some sheet metal? Scrap pieces to fit under my Pallet coops? Just roofing is fine. I can get you some rough measurements. That will give me something to pick up and take to the compost pile. I have a small piece under one but would like some wide enough to catch most it so I don't have to shovel it. I would need 4 total my guess is about 3' x 4' ish each.... how many eggs would that be?

10. pickledchicken

pickledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    I do the same thing Tin it works great I found a surplus of 6 gal buckets I got water for the birds everywhere. The buckets I got have really tight fitting lids got tired of ripping finger nails and put a hole in the lid for the water hose still works great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by