The Middle Tennessee Thread

I got out this morning and bought a 5 gal. buket & a nice sized galvinized pan to make a cheap but big waterer. Finished it up put it in the run. Refilled all the water bowls & food pans. I also soaked down some of their dust holes . They really seem to like the moist cool earth . Their panting a little but other than that they seem good. I just finished mowing the 1 acre yard. Now headed inside for some AC & a cold one.

Last edited:
I went to co op today to get some dog dip... I left without the dog dip and a really nice looking pair of blue OEG banties. The pair was only 10 bucks. I put them in with my silkies which are about the same age and all seem to be enjoying each other.
I did notice they had a HUGE assortment of spring traps there. I bougt one off amazon for 14 bucks with shipping, and saw the exact same trap there for 6 dollars.
Since I've set that trap I haven't had a single sign of my fox.

I went to co op today to get some dog dip... I left without the dog dip and a really nice looking pair of blue OEG banties. The pair was only 10 bucks. I put them in with my silkies which are about the same age and all seem to be enjoying each other.
I did notice they had a HUGE assortment of spring traps there. I bougt one off amazon for 14 bucks with shipping, and saw the exact same trap there for 6 dollars.
Since I've set that trap I haven't had a single sign of my fox.
That sounds about right... on all accounts
lau.gif

Those who use the 3 and 5 gal buckets, keep in mind the handles will break under the weight of the water. I have had it happen MANY times. I try to check them 2 x's a day and some even have more than one water source.

hey Donna...
what all do you have available for hatching eggs?

Everything
lau.gif
nobody is buying eggs in this heat.... I am not pushing them either. I have some older Marans, but they are not the darkest, I set those yesterday
gig.gif
Blue and Reg Barred rocks, Super Blue Egg Layers, EE, NH, Black Ameraucana, I think that is about it.

Donna mine is a very simple setup. Drill a 1/2 in. hole about 2 inches from the top. Fill bucket to the hole. Put the lid on tight. Turn bucket top down in a larger pan. It simply gravity feeds into the larger pan as they drink it. I raised mine up off the ground so they don't kick as much trash or dirt into it. I had a smaller 2 gal. I used for a while but wanted more water available for them. ;-)

I'm tempted on the SBEL's, but what would you want for 2 doz mixed of your choice?
I am cutting WAY back on hatching. I only set the Marans because I have so many people that want pullets and I have not hatched any in a long time. I set my W/BW Ams and few Lav and Splits (they are not laying great) How about some sheet metal? Scrap pieces to fit under my Pallet coops? Just roofing is fine. I can get you some rough measurements. That will give me something to pick up and take to the compost pile. I have a small piece under one but would like some wide enough to catch most it so I don't have to shovel it. I would need 4 total my guess is about 3' x 4' ish each.... how many eggs would that be?

Donna mine is a very simple setup. Drill a 1/2 in. hole about 2 inches from the top. Fill bucket to the hole. Put the lid on tight. Turn bucket top down in a larger pan. It simply gravity feeds into the larger pan as they drink it. I raised mine up off the ground so they don't kick as much trash or dirt into it. I had a smaller 2 gal. I used for a while but wanted more water available for them. ;-)
I do the same thing Tin it works great I found a surplus of 6 gal buckets I got water for the birds everywhere. The buckets I got have really tight fitting lids got tired of ripping finger nails and put a hole in the lid for the water hose still works great.

Back
Top Bottom