The Middle Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 15, 2011.

1. pickledchicken

pickledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    Garage turned chicken coop...[​IMG][​IMG]

2. pickledchicken

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    My Blue Barnevelders
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. nashvegas

nashvegas New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    Hi, we're in Nashville and finally ready to buy our chicks. Looking for Buff Orpingtons, Black Austrolorp, Easter Eggers, and maybe a RIR. Anyone have suggestions on where we can find baby chicks this time of year? Can we find them somewhere locally where they've been sexed (similar to how you can order them from a place like McMurray Hatchery, where you can order day-old pullets). Or are we better off just ordering them? Problem is, we have to order 25 at a time from McMurray, and we can only have 6, being in Nashville). Thanks for any help!

Greg

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Check out Meyer hatchery. They have a 3-chick minimum and the have lots of sexed breeds available for next week.

5. wife89

wife89 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Lost a baby C.Maran today to the heat... [​IMG].... They ran out of water while we were gone, I really need an automatic watering system....

6. pickledchicken

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    I can help you out with a very simple system made with a 5 gall bucket and a lid and a galvanized pan from tractor supply. Anyone can do this it works great.

7. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    The one you got from me? Sorry [​IMG] I will keep an eye out for another one.... I don't think I have any more available. I may have some in a few weeks when I grow some up.

Did I show you my system? I don't know if you could use anything like it but a 55 gal barrel is GREAT in this heat. My breeding pens with 3 gal buckets have to be filled about every other day and that sucks in this heat with no water source near them. In this heat, I supplement with big pans of water too, just so they have ALL they want.

I really am sorry! I know how something like that can hurt.

8. wife89

Jul 14, 2011
    Yes, one I got from you. And she was so pretty. I really want a system like yours. I was telling hubby about it. Do you know of a place that I can get the nipples locally? Or can you tell me where you got yours. I was hoping to get it set up before we leave for vacation.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. wife89

Jul 14, 2011
    have you tried craigslist? We were able to pick up a few pullets last year that way. We got our property in August and wanted soon to be layers soon.

10. nashvegas

nashvegas New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    I've located a few sources for local chicks. Thanks everyone. But a question I have is whether it's a bad idea to mix chicks from different sources, as we're having a hard time finding all the breeds we're interested in from one source (unless we mail order, which we're not crazy about doing). And how different in age can we mix chicks also? In other words, could we mix chicks that are a few days old with chicks that are 2 or 3 weeks old? Or will that lead to the older ones constantly pecking or bullying the younger ones?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by